Thread: HELP! My fbt is all swollen!

DobbysSockk

Default HELP! My fbt is all swollen!

Two days ago I looked into my ten gal terrarium to find one of my three fire bellies looking a little odd. He was shaped kinda funny and he wasn't moving and he looked a little gray. Upon further inspection I found that my tank had fingerprints on it and that was why he looked gray... But my frog did look sick! He was a bit swollen. He had a little bump on his back, near his bottom. Well not "little" but maybe his lower half was swollen. I gingerly put my hand in the tank and it worried me that he didn't jump away. Luckily he was alive, but I was worried. I went to bed just hoping nothing was too wrong.
    Yesterday he was looking plumper so I did about two hours of research. From what I've read I think he might have Dropsy! I cleaned out the terrarium along with everything in it, then gave the toads new water. But the main thing I did was worry.
    Today I woke up and checked on my little guy. To my dismay he is probably 1 1/2 times his usual size! I did more research and I pulled out my first fishtank I ever owned -a 1.5 gal little tank.- I cleaned it up and filled with 1 or 2 inches of water then put some cleaned stones on half the bottom. I'm now using this as a quarantine tank.

I don't know what else to do! I'm only 13 so I can't do anything expensive- like an exotic vet that'll charge me a hundred bucks- but if there is any advice you can give me I'd really REALLY appreciate it! Thanks in advance!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

PandaLove21

Default Re: HELP! My fbt is all swollen!

There was a thread on dropsy recently, just search dropsy in the search bar above. There are lots of tips there.

I hope your toad is ok, Janine.

DobbysSockk

My little guy has gotten way worse! He's like a little tiny balloon! I don't know what to do! D:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Do you have a photo of him?

Take him out of the tank and make a hospital tank. Use paper towel as substrate. Moisten it with dechlorinated water. Give him a shallow water bowl and fill slightly with dechlorinated water and only one fleck of new aquarium salt. I use the API brand. Too much can harm them. It might draw out some of the fluid. Soak for only 15 minutes or so. Then rinse the water bowl and refill shallowly with dechlorinated water.

Have you noticed any strange behaviors lately?

My guess is that he has a systemic bacterial infection which started at the wound area and is now causing swelling. I'm bit sure though and it sounds as though he needs a vet very soon.

Do not feed him tonight.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [United States]

You can apply a small spot of (only Original) Neoporin to the wound. Do not use the pain reliever type, it is toxic to them. This is not a cute, just a temporary external treatment. I really think he needs a vet.

Can you upload a pic of the wound?
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [United States]

Plain bacitracin is also okay if you can't find Neosporin there.

Nationality
    [United States]

Sounds exactly like dropsy to me. I have had success treating it in my firebellies in the past using methylene blue.
    It's not to expensive so no worries.
    I give the frogs a dip in a water methylene solution for about 5 minutes. I used a small deli container to do this, only filled up enough to almost cover the frog. After the dip was over i let the frog rinse in some clean purified water.
    I isolated my frogs from their tank mates until they were better and repeated this every other day until they were better.

Be warned, this technique is not always successful, and the chemical will dye everything you own blue permanently.
    Also I cannot be 100% sure your frogs have dropsy without pics.

Hope this helps.

Thread Information