Thread: western chorus frog?

bushmaster06

Default western chorus frog?

is this a western chorus frog? i'm in central oklahoma and caught it as a tadpole out of a pond last spring.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: western chorus frog?

Got to check against a book to try and ID; but appears to me it's not a WC. What is the frogs body length? Asking because it looks bigger than a WC. It's also missing the typical longitudinal bands (3) on it's back and has a broader looking body .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

The genus Pseudacris has several species represented in Oklahoma; but I can't exactly match your frog characteristics to any of them. P. maculata, the Boreal Chorus Frog did came close. There is the possibility it is a naturally occurring hybrid, since they are known to happen when the species overlap. But your frog's apparent large size has me thinking something else.

If your location was to the West; P. regilla, the Pacific Treefrog would be my call. They have not been reported in Oklahoma as far as I know; but have been found eastward to Idaho, Montana, and Nevada. Maybe someone released some specimens at your location and they have bred in there. Would appreciate if you compare your frog to pics in the link to AmphibiaWeb and tell us what you think. Couple photo's from above and side of head would help get better ID; but I'm going with a PTF for the time being .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

bushmaster06

I'll to get some better pics. It borrows during the day and comes out late at night, especially when I feed them.

bushmaster06

here are a couple more pics. it looks bigger because it has puffed itself up, but about 1.5" long.

i'm also not sure about this little guy. its about half the size (maybe .75") of of the other frogs in this enclosure, and has a kind of warty skin that the other frogs don't seem to have.

here is what i think is a spotted chorus frog. there are several of these in the enclosure, a couple of lighter ones like this and a couple of darker ones, all with the bright green spots. these are all the same size, about 1.25".

bushmaster06

Checked out a field guide from the library and it looks like what I thought was a Western Chorus Frog is actually a Strecker's Chorus Frog. The really little one with the warty skin appears to be a Blanchard's Cricket Frog.

Thread Information