Thread: injured grey tree frog

vicmrosek

Default injured grey tree frog

Hi, my name is Vicki and I have an injured grey tree frog. I'm not exactly sure how he injured himself but I'm assuming he fell and either hit a branch or his water dish. He is about 8months old. I rescued a bunch of tadpoles from my pool and kept four so my daughter could see how amazing it is when they turn into frogs. I was planning on releasing all of them but we became attached and kept four of them. Sorry back to "Tiny". I believe he injured his spine. His back is curved like a "C". He is unable to climb but he keeps trying and falls so I had to remove him from his tank and put him in a smaller container. He has eaten one cricket a day if I hand feed him but I am really worried about him. He moves around a little but like I said falls when he tries to climb on things. I don't know if he is suffering and in severe pain or should I just keep doing what I'm doing. Any help would be great. Thanks .

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: injured grey tree frog

Do you have any pictures?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hello and welcome to FF! I'm very sorry about the injured frog . You did the right thing by moving it to a hospital like tank. In there you only need damp unprinted paper towels for substrate, a daily changed water dish filled with dechlorinated tap to frog's chin level; and a couple silk plants to help frog feel safe.

From your description, the frog appears to have a spinal injury. Not sure how that happened in an enclosure, unless something fell on the frog. Only way to tell extent of damage is to have a herp veterinary take an xray and evaluate results. If you decide to go that way, these links can help locate one: Arav and Herp Vet Connection.

As long as frog is eating, you can continue feeding gut loaded crickets dusted in CA/D3. There is possibility frog will heal; but without knowing level of spinal damage it's hard to predict. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

vicmrosek

Thanks for the advice. I am taking him to the vet Thursday, its the quickest they can see him. He is still eating when I hand feed him. I dust the crickets before I feed him. Although his spine is bent like a C his back legs seem to be moving fine. Now I'm thinking it may be his front arm/shoulder. He seems to have trouble moving it and when he moves it appears to be in pain. He tries to climb but falls. I have found him on his back unable to right himself. I have received a couple of private emails saying the humane thing to do would be to euthanize him. I believe he is pretty stressed out because he can't climb. i don't want him to suffer but I want to give him a chance. Aagh!!! I dont know what to do. i am unable to ppst a pic because my computer is down and I can't figure out how to post one with my phone. Sorry I'm technologically challenged! I would appreciate everyone's opinions on what I should do. Tiny and I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Thread Information