Thread: African Clawed Frog not happy?

alyssalaine

Default African Clawed Frog not happy?

So I was having some trouble with my ACF not eating and posted on here for some help. I ended up filling the tank with more water, getting a water heater and a sponge filter ran by a small air pump (which is super annoying now). Ever since I got these new additions for the tank, my frog has started croaking and calling for a mate. I went to buy him one but found out they're illegal? So now he's just going to be lonely. He's also not eating still and I don't know what's going on. Does he not like that I switched him to night crawlers or is he too focused on mating or what's going on?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: African Clawed Frog not happy?

Not sure why frog is calling; maybe it's happy and doing froggy things. Legal status of those frogs is all wacky, they are supposedly illegal in VA, yet I see them in pet shops all the time .

What is problem with air pump? If noisy sometimes they are defective or need be placed on top of a foam or rubber mat to reduce vibrations .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

100+ Post Member Louis Charles Bruckner's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Sounds like you might need to control the flow of air to the filter.
    Having it using 100% of the air pumps out put can be very noisy. (bubbling water noise not the hum of the pump)

I recommend that you get the following.
    Some extra air line (8 feet )
    Air check valve (this will protect you from the water siphoning out of the tank.)
    a Dual air valve manifold.
    Another air stone. ( to act as a muffler trust me you will want this.)
    You will also need a pice of stiff foam 1/4 in thick. to place the air pump on to isolate it from any other structure that can act as
    a resonator.

Ok I am going to give instructions on how to set up this air control system.
    #1 it will control the flow of the air to the filter so you can adjust how much air goes to the filter.
    #2 it will lengthen the life of your air pump
    #3 it will also prevent siphoning out the water in the tank in case of a power failure.

Don't place the pump on any surface that can block the vents or airflow around the bottom of the pump
    like a thick towel.
    If you do the pump can over heat.

You will need to cut two lengths of air hose about 1 foot long.

Connect one hose to the input side of the dual air valve.

Connect the other hose to out put of the first valve. and conned the other end of that hose to the new air stone (muffler)

Unplug the air pump and disconnect the air hose that is going to the sponge filter and connect that hose to the output of the last valve.

Now connect the hose from the input of the dual valve to the out put of the air pump.

turn both valves on. and plug in the air pump.

Now slowly turn off the valve to the sponge filter until you get the desired flow.
    If you can't get any air to the sponge filter then open the valve to the filter all the way and slowly close the valve going to the muffler
    until you get the flow you want.

I use this set up on all my tanks and my air pumps last for years. (even the cheap ones.)

alyssalaine

Yeah ACF are illegal in Oregon and the pet shop got a shipment of Dwarf frogs in but they actually turned put to be ACF so that's how I got mine but I can't find them anywhere and they're illegal in the closest state to me so the only way to get a mate is to buy some and have it shipped which is $80. Not worth it to me.
    For now I have the air pump wrapped up in a shirt to reduce noise and vibrations but my roommate can still hear it through the wall so I will look into the steps on reducing noise. Thanks!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Doing what I explained will reduce the pump noise and the excessive bubbling water noise.

By reducing the back pressure on the pump and the airflow to the sponge filter.

Warning: wrapping up the pump in a cloth will make the pump over heat! And possibly cause a fire.

If you can't place the pump on a pice of foam you can also suspend it from a string and thumb tacks or 3m command hooks.
    Try to keep the air pump in the same orientation as it is designed to lay on top of a surface.
    The way most air pumps work is a electro magnet that is powered by the house power 110V ac 60hz in the US and 230V ac 50hz in the EU. ( a lower pitch tone from the pump)
    A small arm that has a permeant magnet on the end of it is placed near the electromagnet causing the magnet on the arm to
    vibrate 60 times per second.
    The arm is also attached to a diaphragm that pumps air.
    This vibration is what causes the humming noise a 60 cycle hum.
    If there is a lot of back pressure on the diaphragm it will make the pump work harder and make more noise and wear out the valves in side the pump.

Do not use the power cord or air hose to suspend it.
    Name:  tn_fishpump-insides.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  99.0 KB

alyssalaine

A fire?!?! Oh god, I'll go unwrap it immediately and big some foam tomorrow! Thanks!!!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

You can place it on top of the cloth until you get the foam.

alyssalaine

That's exactly what I did. I'll go out tomorrow when I go to get him more plants and I'll get foam too

Thread Information