Thread: FBT vivarium help

trey12222

Question FBT vivarium help

Hi this my first post on the forum so let me begin. I recently purchased a fire belly toad and I keep it in a 10 gallon with a tetra fauna filter/waterfall and some pebbles that slope down from right to left. I know I need Hides, plants, and maybe another Fire belly but I want to see what other people recommend first. So please tell me if I can do anything different or add anything. (Sorry I can't post a picture right now)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: FBT vivarium help

First this to do is read this excellent care article: Frog Forum - Fire-Bellied Toad Care and Breeding - Bombina orientalis and relatives. Also, ensure the water is dechlorinated tap and the pebbles are large enough so they can't be swallowed by frog.
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Flying Dutchman

FBT's do tollerate each other, but they don't need to be kept in groups. Carlos already gave you the tips you need, and he is right about the pebbles. FBT's can be monsters when they are eating. They are not the best hunters in the world, and they attack their prey in a rather clumsy way. It's possible that they don't grab the prey but someting else, and if it will fit in their mouths, they will swallow it. I once saw one of my FBT's attacking a fruitfly, and he ended up with a mouthfull of moose. He just sat there, trying to get rid of the moose. He almost looked ashamed of what he had done. LOL!

trey12222

Default FBT vivarium help

there his tank. I only feed him on top of the water fall because the crix and meal worms always drown. I also bought larger gravel

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Flying Dutchman

Is your FBT able to climb on the water fall? FBT's like to swim, but they also like to rest on some "land". Your FBT would also like some (plastic) plant to hide. Tank has a nice size for your FBT.

trey12222

Default FBT vivarium help

He's able to climb but I'm going to get a 20 gal because I'm going to do a 50/50 tank

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Fire Salamander

If I were you then I would actually get a tank prepared before buying the frog.

Thread Information