Thread: Stocking suggestions

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Stocking suggestions

Hi All,

First post here although I have been reading for awhile. I recently adopted 2 female, albino clawed frogs from a fellow in the local reef club. He obtained them from a person that moved and couldn't take them with her. Anyway, they currently reside in a 20 gal long tank. One frog is about 2.5" and the other about 3" nose to vent. In a few weeks, they will move into a 30 gal breeder tank. This has the same foot print as a 40 breeder, just a few inches shorter. I plan to purchase some more ACF for this tank. I would like a m/f pair of the regular, pigmented frogs. Would I be able to add this pair and another male, giving me 3 females and 2 males total? I'm not interested in breeding at this time, but perhaps in the future.

The frogs were being feed a diet of ZooMed frog/tadpole food since their original purchase some 3 years ago. This food seems rather small and made a mess of the 10 gal tank they were in. I have now switched their diet to Reptomin baby size sticks and freeze dried gammmarus. I have nightcrawlers in the fridge, just haven't gotten around to trying them yet. Tank temp is 69-70 F and will probably climb a few degrees this summer. Filtration is a simple hob filter for now, and substrate is pool filter sand. Weekly water changes of about 25%. Here is a picture of them.

Although they aren't overly active creatures, I do find them very interesting. Big goofy eyes, and they always seem to have a smile on their face. It's lots of fun too to feed them by hand.
    Nice website here, and seems like some very nice members.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Stocking suggestions

Hello and welcome to FF! Your frogs and set up look very nice. Couple issues you should consider are that, same as with fish, will need to quarantine the new frogs from the healthy ones you have. Also, all frogs sizes should be similar to avoid a larger frog eating a smaller one.

Once those challenges are met; you should be able to introduce them in the in the 30B. Careful with feeding freeze dried food to ACFs; some have caused digestive issues. Thawed out frozen gammarus or similar should be OK .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]

Thank you for the welcome! I do plan on qt'ing them when they arrive. They will be coming from Nasco, so should be in good shape but just to be safe. I will most likely order frogs that are 5-6.25 cm (~2-2.75")nose to vent length. Hopefully they will be on the upper end of that size range. These should be ok size for my present ones? I've got some frozen krill that I will try instead of the fd gammarus. I've fed the gammarus only a few times.

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I would think the 30b would have the square footage for 5 frogs, but volume wise you would be pushing it. I have the same footprint, but in a 65 gallon with 4F/2M and I think I could easily and comfortably add a couple more. I'd say if that's what you have try it out and if it seems like you are doing too much maintenance or it is crowded you have an excuse to upgrade.
    As already mentioned avoid freeze dried food at all cost.

Nationality
    [United States]

I'll try the 30 b for now. If it's too much, I will pick up a 40 b when PetCo does the next $1/gal sale. I've discontinued the fd food. Fed earthworms last night- those were a big hit.
    A question regarding feeding schedule. With the size of my current frogs, would they be considered sub-adult? I have been feeding them every other day. Should this be more or less often?

Hi,

your frogs look very healthy. Regarding their bellies, I would only feed them every third day from now on or reduce the amounts/feeding time They aren´t obese yet, but they shouldn´t fatten up more than this.
    Amphibians kept:
    9.10.3 Hymenochirus boettgeri
    2.4.0 Xenopus laevis
    0.1.0 Hypselotriton orientalis
    3.0.0 Hyloxalus azureiventris
    4.1.0 Pipa parva
    2.1.2 Bombina orientalis
    1.0.0 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    2.2.0 Bombina orientalis

Nationality
    [United States]