Thread: Python Eats Crocodile: Impressive, but I've Seen Larger Meals!

findiviglio

Default Python Eats Crocodile: Impressive, but I've Seen Larger Meals!

Hi, Frank Indiviglio here. I’m a herpetologist, zoologist, and book author, recently retired from a career spent at several zoos, aquariums, and museums, including over 20 years with the Bronx Zoo.
    Recently, dramatic photos of an Olive Python, Liasis olivaceus, swallowing an Australian Freshwater Crocodile, Crocodylus johnstoni, have been much in the news. A very interesting story, no doubt, but actually a 3-4 foot long croc is well within the size range of prey taken by large pythons. In past articles I’ve mentioned some of the astonishing snake meals I’ve been witness to (please see articles linked below). One, a 60 pound White-tailed Deer taken by a huge Green Anaconda in Venezuela, would be hard for me “to swallow” (sorry!) had I not been awakened by the snake disgorging it below my hammock in the wee hours! A 5-foot-long Spectacled Caiman grabbed by another took 6+ hours to subdue. I’ve also searched my notes for feeding accounts recorded by Messrs. Ditmars, Pope, Greene, Kauffeld and other notables, and thought I’d take this opportunity to share them with my fellow snake enthusiasts…Enjoy! Read the rest of this article here Python Eats Crocodile - Tales of Big Snake Eating | That Reptile Blog
    Please also check out my posts on Twitter http://bitly.com/JP27Nj and Facebook http://on.fb.me/KckP1m

My Bio, with photos of animals I’ve been lucky enough to work with: That Pet Place welcomes Zoologist/Herpetologist Frank Indiviglio to That Reptile Blog | That Reptile Blog

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Australia]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Python Eats Crocodile: Impressive, but I've Seen Larger Meals!

I saw this on the news the other day, that olive python is probably still digesting as we speak!
    Thanks for sharing
    ~ Australian frogs Gotta love them

findiviglio

Default Re: Python Eats Crocodile: Impressive, but I've Seen Larger Meals!

Quote Originally Posted by Striped marsh View Post
    I saw this on the news the other day, that olive python is probably still digesting as we speak!
    Thanks for sharing
    My pleasure...yes, will be for some time; in Venezuela we saw anacondas with large meals in same spot for 2-3 weeks, daytime temps 95-100 F every day, all day. I've never seen what passes through when a croc is eaten, need to check with some contacts...after a pig meal, found nails, hip bones, teeth, hair...I wasn't dedicated enough, however, to check if all teeth and all nails passed through! best, frank

Thread Information