Thread: Hello! New owner to 2 Whites tree frogs with questions. Thanks for a great site!

annemarie

Default Hello! New owner to 2 Whites tree frogs with questions. Thanks for a great site!

Hi, I just got my frogs on 2/09/14 at a reptile expo. I thought all was going well until one of them started growing a huge bulge just above his left eye. I have segregated him into another tank. The bulge is about the size of a large pea. He is eating and exercising a little. His cage mate is quite mobile and has a great appetite. After my studies I think it is some kind of parasite. What do I do? No vets around here will even look at a frog and I have even been laughed at! Thanks for any help.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Hello! New owner to 2 Whites tree frogs with questions. Thanks for a great site!

Here are couple listings that might help you locate a vet: Arav and http://herpvetconnection.com. It's not possible from description to determine the issue. Please answer below questions and do provide a photo of frog showing bump. If taking frog to veterinary the answers will help vet make a diagnosis too. Thank you !

“Trouble in the Frog Enclosure”
    The following information will be very helpful if provided when requesting assistance with either your frog or enclosure. To help with your questions, please utilize the below list and post the information in the proper forum area to get advice from FF members that keep the same frog. This will allow for little confusion and a faster more informed response.

1. Size of enclosure
    2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences
    3. Humidity
    4. Temperature
    5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish
    6. Materials used for substrate
    7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials.
    - How were things prepared prior to being put into the viv.
    8. Main food source
    9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often)
    10. Lighting
    11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure
    12. When is the last time he/she ate
    13. Have you found poop lately
    14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine)
    15. Describe frog's symptoms and/or recent physical changes; to include it's ventral/belly area.
    16. How old is the frog
    17. How long have you owned him/her
    18. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred
    19. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats
    20. How often the frog is handled
    21. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area
    22. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc)

by Lynn(Flybyferns) and GrifTheGreat.
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

annemarie

Default Re: Hello! New owner to 2 Whites tree frogs with questions. Thanks for a great site!

I cannot find a vet around here to even look at me without laughing when I mention Frogs. I will post answers and pics to all your questions after I finish my chores. (I have a farm). Thanks. Anne Marie

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

You can also email a veterinary online; Dr. Frye at: Milan Area Animal Hospital, David M. Frye, DVM, Veterinary services in Milan, MI, Home page. He won't charge for an email consult, only for any needed medications. Suggest you provide him answers to the above questions and a picture of frog in your email to him. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Thread Information