Thread: Giant Waxy Monkey Frogs (Phyllomedusa Bicolor) temperament?

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Giant Waxy Monkey Frogs (Phyllomedusa Bicolor) temperament?

I am possibly getting a couple of these but have several questions on what their temperament is like.

What's their personality like, compare it to a more common frog if possible?
    Do they stress easily?
    Are they fussy eaters and sometimes don't eat?
    Are they bothered if you handle them?
    Are they shy?
    Will they tong feed?

Also in general what are they like to keep, do they get sick easily, are they worth getting besides they look awesome and are one of the biggest tree frogs?

2.2.0 - Giant Waxy Monkey Frogs
    2.4.0 - White's Tree Frogs 1.3.0 - Red Eyed Tree Frogs
    5.1.0 - Uluguru Forest Tree Frogs 2.0.0 - Amazon Milk Frogs 1.2.0 - Tomato Frogs

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Giant Waxy Monkey Frogs (Phyllomedusa Bicolor) temperament?

What's their personality like, compare it to a more common frog if possible?

Lazy

Do they stress easily?

like any other frog

Are they fussy eaters and sometimes don't eat?

yes, but same goes to any other frog, most bicolours would lounge to anything that moves, fingers including.

Are they bothered if you handle them?

yes, but most of the time they just too lazy to wake up, if you are gentle you can transfer it to your finger without waking the guy up. Not always works, but really funny when it does.

Are they shy?
    Not really

Will they tong feed?

Yes, you can teach them to.

Also in general what are they like to keep, do they get sick easily, are they worth getting besides they look awesome and are one of the biggest tree frogs?

They are hands down ones of most unique frogs you can possibly have, they are by any means not typical frogs, think of bearded dragon and chameleon mix.

The challenge with these frogs is that you can get only wc, thus heath issues, parasites, etc. you will need to have very strict quarantine, treat from parasites, etc.

very very important to make sure conditions are right, high uvb, low humidity, air circulation, big enough cage, etc. if something is off they dont adapt, they die.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]

HAHA, LIja hit it spot on based off my experience.

They sure are lazy and hard to wake up haha. Though I believe they are fully awake just some what playing dead. If I have mine out for a few minutes it will wake up and try to sneak away.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Thanks guys. I am getting a 36x24x36 exo terra for these. It's just over 100 gallons (thats the biggest/tallest one they make) to go with it an exo terra sunray fixture for basking and high UVB. For venitilation I am using 2 small computer type fans on either side of the enclosure one that blows in, the other one to extract air. The only thing I won't have is medication for parasites. I'm good for sores/cuts/ external issues etc but not for internal, what do you recommend and where do I get it?
    Do you guys have any pictures of yours or any other enclosures, I need some ideas!

5.1.0 - Uluguru Forest Tree Frogs 2.0.0 - Amazon Milk Frogs 1.2.0 - Tomato Frogs

Nationality
    [Canada]

Sounds good! I dont have bicolours right now, but Daniel made an awesome enclosure, his thread with pics is posted here.
    Main principle- temp gradient ( you got it with basking lamp), uvb 5. Air vent you got covered too, although big exo terras have enough screen top to provide ventilation.
    Decor- a lot of branches of different diameter on different levels, foliage. You better go with silk plants, real ones will be crushed in no time. My sauvagii managed to completely kill pothos in a week, but bicolours are way bigger
    water bowl, felt carpet or similar for the bottom, exo earth will get dusty in low humidity, everything else is risk of impaction.

you will need to go to a vet for meds. When you go get frogs ( port credit pets? ) look closely from all sides. If they wont let you be aware. Look for ulcers, nose rubs, look at the knees and elbows, look for anything out of ordinary. Look where a frog sits and what color is it. Happy waxy is going to be bright green and will sit high up. Check Daniels pics - his frog is a textbook heathy and happy.

Since you have more frogs - consider your new one highly contagious and get through strict quarantine for 2-3 month or longer depending in situation. At that time you will need to get a few fecals done, deworm, etc, I'm sure vet will help you with exact procedure or you can always ask us During quarantine always use gloves when handling, whatever you use for the cage should be never used for your other frogs, feed, clean, etc always the last.

Hope it helps
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [Canada]

Thanks Lija I should hopefully have a good selection to pick from as I get first choice from the wholesaler but I will definitely inspect them and pick out the best looking ones. I'm really careful I always wear gloves whenever I do frog chores and new ones are always done last. I also have an amazing frog safe disinfectant that I always use to keep things clean. How come you dont have any anymore? How many would you recommend for my size enclosure? I want to get as many as possible as being WC I'm paranoid there's a good chance at least one isn't going to make it and these frogs don't come around often.
    Also are bamboo poles from homedepot/canadian tire frog safe? I don't want to put my new fancy twisted vine in there for it to get contaminated lol until after quarantine is up. I have a frog carpet too but will use paper towels until quarantine is done.

Thread Information