Thread: missing ACF

Dani

Default missing ACF

This may seem like a stupid question.... I have 2 male ACF's that get along great. they are both around 2-3 inches (just body) Last night I went to feed them and there is only one in the tank. I don't think the other one is hiding, I checked its usual spots. I have sand in the tank so maybe he burrowed? The other ACF is singing day and night and swimming back and forth in the tank. I think he is upset about the other frog missing. I checked to see if he jumped out and I can find no proof of that. Unless he jumped out and my cat got him.... has any one had this happen? Will my 1 frog eft get lonely?
    I am fairly new to the ACF ownership. But am very attached to them
    Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: missing ACF

Quote Originally Posted by Dani View Post
    This may seem like a stupid question.... I have 2 male ACF's that get along great. they are both around 2-3 inches (just body) Last night I went to feed them and there is only one in the tank. I don't think the other one is hiding, I checked its usual spots. I have sand in the tank so maybe he burrowed? The other ACF is singing day and night and swimming back and forth in the tank. I think he is upset about the other frog missing. I checked to see if he jumped out and I can find no proof of that. Unless he jumped out and my cat got him.... has any one had this happen? Will my 1 frog eft get lonely?
    I am fairly new to the ACF ownership. But am very attached to them
    Thanks
    ACF can and will escape from tanks with insecure lids. I would check around the house ASAP, hopefully the cat did not get him but either way if he is out of the tank he will die from dehydrate in 24hrs or less.

I hope you find him! I had a frog escape once but I was able to find him chilling under my lazyboy chair!

4. This member thanks mpmistr for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Sorry to hear about your frog. It is important to find your frog quickly. Look under furniture and in the bathroom. Even though these frogs look awkward on land, they have been known to travel over large distances. As mentioned, make sure you have a secure lid on your tank. Both males and females of this species will sing. If you have both sexes, you will probably hear a loud duet. I have several ACF and keep them is groups of 2 or 3. I have noticed that when I remove one from the tank for cleaning or other reasons, the lonely frog will call almost constantly as looking for it's partner. I do believe these frogs are quite social and will do better in small or large groups depending on size of the tank. Good luck and hope you find it.
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

6. This member thanks tgampper for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]

I had one survive close to a week a couple of years ago. She fell 18" out of the tank, 3' to the floor, traveled 30' to a closet, climbed in a 8" deep box and chilled under some old stuffed animals. Still alive and well today. Keep looking. They can surprise you. If you have not already get a good lid and lower your water level 3'4" below the rim of the tank.

Nationality
    [United States]

Wow a whole week!

@ Dani: I think if you look really hard you should find the little guy so long as that cat didn't find it first. I think they will most likely try to hide UNDER something. Like I said when I found mine he was under a lazyboy chair, luckily I have hardwood floors, I would think carpet would dry them out faster. ACF are really hardy creatures though so if you find him soon enough he should be fine.

@ Tony: My dumb frog also fell 18" + 36" to hardwood floor.. went a whole 2 feet to a lazyboy and sat there waiting for me to find her.. I just dusted her off and put her back in the tank and she is still going strong.

@ Terry: That is really interesting. I have a small male frog currently living alone in a 10 gallon tank. I am hoping to have him join my community of 3 female ACF once he is big enough. He is about 2 inches from nose to vent right now and I worry he won't get much bigger (I don't think he is over a year old yet, so I will wait).

I would really be bummed if he was eaten, my females are all 5+ inches and are just fat and huge. Anyways I notice he sings, a lot.. I feel bad for him. I don't think frogs truly get lonely but some times I think he does wish he had another frog to cohabit with. I hope he grows a little bit bigger because I honestly do feel if I placed him in my 40B he would not survive.

I find that these frogs are social very interesting though, I was once in a pet store near me and they had apparently taken all their ACF that grew to adult size and placed them in to one tank. It was quite weird but these frogs were dog piled on top of each other in one corner and there were over 10 frogs easily.

Nationality
    [Canada]

If I found adults in a store I could not resist it. Would end up with new frogs that I don't need. lol

Dani

Thank you all for your suggestions. I have search evrywhere in my home.... I mean everywhwere. I had my husband move the couchces, checked in closets, in rooms where there is a gap under the door. I am sad to say I think the cats got him. I am not sure what I should do now. No where local sells adult frogs and i do not have the ability to get a baby and keep him seperate until big enough. My daughter is only 20 months yet she knows there is a frog missing.. Every day she is point to the frog tank asking where's frog

Thread Information