Thread: Could it work?

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Could it work?

I went to the store and unknowingly purchased a different pleco than I had intended. It only gets 5 inches and is very peaceful in fact it usually hides. It needs cool water so I was curious if, If I provided hiding spaces it could be housed with the ACF. They have the same needs. This fish needs moved out of my community, My community is just too warm.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Could it work?

Quote Originally Posted by Elliriyanna View Post
    I went to the store and unknowingly purchased a different pleco than I had intended. It only gets 5 inches and is very peaceful in fact it usually hides.
    I wouldn't attribute the fact your pleco hides that it is peaceful. Plecos hide because they're nocturnal, it's just hiding from the light. Plecos can be pretty territorial, also if not fed properly (most in aquarium are not) it WILL attack other fish (and frogs) to feed off their slime coat.

It needs cool water so I was curious if, If I provided hiding spaces it could be housed with the ACF. They have the same needs. This fish needs moved out of my community, My community is just too warm.
    Frogs and fish just don't mix. I don't know what kind of Pleco this is, but I'm going to assume it's a common pleco, these actually get huge, a single specimen requires 55 gallons -minimum- that means you would need an even larger tank to house anything with it. Also plecos as they get older/larger become rather territorial, these two species should just never be mixed.

Even if it's a smaller pleco species, all of them are armored/spiny bottom dwellers. ACF will try to eat most any fish it can get a hold of, there is a risk of your ACF choking on it which usually results in the death of both animals.

Anyways that's the long answer. Short answer is unfortunately no.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

No it is a rubberlip NOT a common.

And I was not saying hiding and peaceful are synonyms. I was stating its peaceful and I rarely see it. Its in my community tank right now.

I will just have to find another place for him. I figured it was a no but it could not hurt.

Rubberlips are only territorial with their own species BTW

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Elliriyanna View Post
    No it is a rubberlip NOT a common.

And I was not saying hiding and peaceful are synonyms. I was stating its peaceful and I rarely see it. Its in my community tank right now.

I will just have to find another place for him. I figured it was a no but it could not hurt.

Rubberlips are only territorial with their own species BTW
    Well it's good it's not a common pleco, those get huge.

Really though even they are a smaller pleco species they really shouldn't be housed with frogs. ACF are happier in a species only tank can't recommend to mix the two.

Hello,

I agree to what was already said. Even a very peaceful pleco can inflict serious damage on amphibian skin by (accidentally) sucking on it; this reason should suffice to never ever combine amphibians with plecos. So IŽm very glad youŽre looking for a new home for the fish; I hope youŽll find a good one!
    Amphibians kept:
    9.10.3 Hymenochirus boettgeri
    2.4.0 Xenopus laevis
    0.1.0 Hypselotriton orientalis
    3.0.0 Hyloxalus azureiventris
    4.1.0 Pipa parva
    2.1.2 Bombina orientalis
    1.0.0 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    2.2.0 Bombina orientalis

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

He will be staying in my home Just moving tanks I am looking at who I can rearrange and how, So everyone can be happy and noone will be in danger

Thank you guys for the kind answers, Far too many attack for questions like this

Tongue Flicker

If you're looking for bottom feeder fish then you might wanna consider some loaches (not the small species nor the ones with the eye spines). I've kept a trio of ACFs with a weather loach for half a decade until the loach grew too big and decided to move unto land (may he rest in peace lol). The slimy coating on the loach and the frog compliments each other when they are close together and prevents any harm from happening especially during feeding time.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Thank you but I was just looking for more a more suitable tank for my Rubberlip. he will just have to stay where he is for a bit

I am hoping to get my ACF in the next week. Which is off topic but I am still excited.

Thread Information