Thread: Raising Crickets Indoors

urit

Default Raising Crickets Indoors

Hello I have a new video I posted on Youtube and I am looking for feed back.
    This video is about raising crickets indoors check it out and let me know what you think
    Raising and Breeding Crickets Indoors 101 - Breeding Feeder Crickets for your reptiles in ten days - YouTube

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Raising Crickets Indoors

I have been trying, with little success might I add, to breed crickets for my frogs for over a year now... I don't know what i am doing wrong. Any advice you can give me would be great. I have tried everything. The only thing I have not tried is setting them up in a natural environment like I did my frogs. (Which my be my next step if this batch fails again.) I am going to watch your video now and repost after I finish. Are there any tricks to it that I am just not getting...? Thanks!

Ok, so I finished watching your video. About the only thing I noticed I am not doing is making sure the eggs are kept at a constant temp. Also i think I am keeping the egg-laying medium to dry. I was warned my TOO MANY people that crickets hatch-lings will drown in the tiniest amount of water so I barely get the sub-strait wet at all and I mist it daily. I have had eggs but none have ever hatched! Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a million!

cjbage

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the recommendation cjbage, I went to the page and am reading right now. I will try and implement a few of these things into my routine and see how it goes. Fingers crossed I get babies this time and not just eggs, lol.

I read over the care page and I discovered that I already have everything I need except for the Temp probe and the under-cage heating pad. So I am gonna give this method a try too. I do however have heat tape which urit mentioned using for his hatchery, so I am gonna start off with that and if I can maintain temp, I just might be able to get this cricket breeding down to a science yet! Thanks for all the advice, anymore you have to offer will still be appreciated!

cjbage

gl to you

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Thank you both!

urit

Thank you for checking out my video. Important issue - Water, yes "baby" crickets drown, but not eggs. I use clam shell type containers and you can see in my video that water does condense. I label my clam shells with the date, so that I can start looking at then around day 8 for babies. For example if I removed my clamshell today (4-4-14) from my breeding container I would label it with the date, wet the soil and cover. Keep the claimshell container warm 87 degrees, the cover should keep moister in. I start to look for babies in 8 days. I use a office lamp to shine above after I remove the clamshell lid. If you see baby crickets remove lid and place clamshell in a small incubator container. If the temp is less than 87 degrees it will take much longer that 10 days. Cricket eggs are layed outside before winter and can survive until summer to hatch. Using my indoor greenhouse method speeds up the process, the big cricket farmers are down south so they can maintain the heat and humidity. After your adult crickets lay eggs, the eggs need 100% humidity and a consistent temp of 87 degree, that is the answer.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Thank you so much, I feel so silly... The only things I have not been doing is keeping the soil wet enough for the eggs and then not maintaining a constant temp for the eggs to hatch... I would have babies long ago if I had seen your post sooner, lol. I have a new batch of crickets coming home soon, I will grab extra and give it one more go. I have everything I need here already, except maybe a few clam shells (which I can remedy pretty quick). Thanks for the pointers, I will let you know what I come up with this time! Fingers crossed!

MealwormsForSaleHQ

Great Video,

At My Facility I Raise My Crickets Very Similar To This Video.

How to house crickets without smell - YouTube

I Prefer This Method Because The Smell From Raising Hundreds Of Thousands Of Crix Would Be Unbearable LOL.

Mind You, It Does Still Have A Smell But Not Nearly As Bad Without. Also Have To Take Into Consideration That I'm Producing 100K+ At Any Given Moment. YMMV.

Cheers!

Thread Information