Thread: Introducing my red eyed to the forum :p

xkatelynell

Default Introducing my red eyed to the forum :p

This is bug. Tiny itty bitty froggy. Hardest to take pictures of so sorry they're blurry..he's so small my camera won't focus right but he's so calm and didn't care that I was trying to take pictures, just walked all over me haha. Anyway here's Bug.

I took the plants out to take the pictures I swear he has plants

Paul Rust

Default Re: Introducing my red eyed to the forum :p

He is a cutie. It appears you are quite taken with him.
    I'm happy for you that you finally got him.

Nationality
    [New Zealand]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Congrats, A beautiful wee frog

xkatelynell

Quote Originally Posted by NW Amphibian Rescue View Post
    He is a cutie. It appears you are quite taken with him.
    I'm happy for you that you finally got him.
    I really am taken with him he's adorable. So small and has such cute little bug eyes haha. Thank you! I am happy I got him too I've been wanting one for a while, they're one of my favorite frogs

Quote Originally Posted by Ebony View Post
    Congrats, A beautiful wee frog
    Thank you!

Kurt

Congratulations! Now the bad news. If I were you, I would put him in a glass tank rather than a critter keeper/faunarium, as they are made out of polycarbonate and can possibly kill a young Agalychnis callidryas. Last year I lost all but one of my froglets. I was at a loss as to what was killing them. So I ended up talking to a breeder of Agalychnis annae/callidryas and she said that when they put froglets into polycarbonate cages the frogs' skin secretions would break down the plastic releasing toxins, thus killing them. It seamed pretty anecdotal, but like I said one did survive from last year and there was only one that did not get all put into polycarbonate. Coincidence? Who can say?

Skulldroog

Wow! That's one tiny frog. Take good care of him.

Congratulations.

xkatelynell

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    Congratulations! Now the bad news. If I were you, I would put him in a glass tank rather than a critter keeper/faunarium, as they are made out of polycarbonate and can possibly kill a young Agalychnis callidryas. Last year I lost all but one of my froglets. I was at a loss as to what was killing them. So I ended up talking to a breeder of Agalychnis annae/callidryas and she said that when they put froglets into polycarbonate cages the frogs' skin secretions would break down the plastic releasing toxins, thus killing them. It seamed pretty anecdotal, but like I said one did survive from last year and there was only one that did not get all put into polycarbonate. Coincidence? Who can say?
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. Thank you so much Kurt! I'll put him in the spare glass tank I have when I get home. Good thing I kept that! Thank you thank you.

Nationality
    [New Zealand]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

That's very scary Kurt, Ive always put froglets into those plastic aquariums and im sure many other's do too. Im not going to take the risk next year. Thanks so much for that information.

Lil Krystal

Oh he is sooo cute =]

xkatelynell

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Krystal View Post
    Oh he is sooo cute =]
    Thank you.
    To make him even cuter today he fell asleep on me while I was changing his cage to the glass one and when i tried to put him back he wouldn't he just got comfortable on my hand and closed his eyes several times. Sooo cute.

Kurt

You're welcome, you're welcome.

I still use faunariums/critter keepers but they make me nervous. I wonder am I poisoning my frogs? Are all frogs adversely effected by polycarbonate or is it just Agalychnis callidryas froglets? Was it polycarbonate that killed those froglets in the first place or was it something else? To many questions and not nearly enough answers.

xkatelynell

You're welcome, you're welcome.

I still use faunariums/critter keepers but they make me nervous. I wonder am I poisoning my frogs? Are all frogs adversely effected by polycarbonate or is it just Agalychnis callidryas froglets? Was it polycarbonate that killed those froglets in the first place or was it something else? To many questions and not nearly enough answers.
    Do you know if polycarbonate is in acrylic also? I have my Hyla cinerea in an acrylic tank so I sure hope that they aren't effected by it. That's really scary. I really appreciate you telling me that I would have been devastated if I lost him.

Just to be on the safe side I moved the little fella into a small glass aquarium with a make shift paper towl lid..that is actually very nice if I do say so myself.. (until I have to take it off tomorrow to feed him haha)

Kurt

As far as I know acrylic or Plexiglas are safe. The problem with Plexiglas is that it can bow and over period of time it loses its transparency.

xkatelynell

As far as I know acrylic or Plexiglas are safe. The problem with Plexiglas is that it can bow and over period of time it loses its transparency.
    I've noticed that so hopefully sometime this summer I can save up to buy them a huge glass tank. My 'little' green tree frog..isn't so little anymore so the big acrylic tank is working really well for him and he's little friend right now.

Thank you again!

4 Senpoku

Oh my goodness how cute! <3

Kurt

You're welcome.

scribbles

I raised my young Gray Treefrogs for the first couple of months in a critter keeper with no problems. After reading this, I'm too paranoid to use anything other than glass for froglets!

Kurt

I still have frogs in critter keepers.

Thread Information