Thread: unsure about age/ genders

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Question unsure about age/ genders

When I bought my FTBs they were only slightly different sizes. However, I expect at least one to be male, as he barks at night!

How can I tell males from females?
    Мy darlings :
    0.2.0 Calico and Tuxedo cats Ksyenja and Koshek
    1.1.0 Xenopus leavis Carlos and Cecil
    2?.0.2 Bombina orientalis Ivan the Terrible, Peter the Great, Lenin and Putin
    0.1.0 Grammostola rose Megan Wallaby
    1.1.0 Heterometrus laoticus Ian and Isaac

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: unsure about age/ genders

FBTs mature in about a year. Up until that time, it will be difficult to tell what sex they are. Generally, females are larger and more rotund than males. Sexually mature males will call, have spiny dorsal skin (female skin will be much smoother), and thicker forelimbs. The toe webbing on the males will extend to the color tip of the toes, while the female webbing does not extend to the tip of the toes. Males will have dark (black) nuptial pads on the forelimb fingers. These pads are rough, horny skin that helps the male grab on to the female during amplexus (mating embrace). To be absolutely sure that you have a male, check these secondary sexual characteristics: call and nuptial pads. These frogs are very primitive and engage in inguinal amplexus, which means that the male will wrap his forelegs ("arms") around the females waist or lumbar area.
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by tgampper View Post
    FBTs mature in about a year. Up until that time, it will be difficult to tell what sex they are. Generally, females are larger and more rotund than males. Sexually mature males will call, have spiny dorsal skin (female skin will be much smoother), and thicker forelimbs. The toe webbing on the males will extend to the color tip of the toes, while the female webbing does not extend to the tip of the toes. Males will have dark (black) nuptial pads on the forelimb fingers. These pads are rough, horny skin that helps the male grab on to the female during amplexus (mating embrace). To be absolutely sure that you have a male, check these secondary sexual characteristics: call and nuptial pads. These frogs are very primitive and engage in inguinal amplexus, which means that the male will wrap his forelegs ("arms") around the females waist or lumbar area.
    One is calling for sure, I think two others are females, and I'm not sure about the last

Sent from my SPH-L520 using Tapatalk
    Мy darlings :

PandaLove21

It is almost impossible to tell the sex of FBTs. I thought I had 2 females and a male, as two are morphologically female as they are larger and to me look very frog-like (the shape of wild frogs up here in SK). My male is smaller and has a rounded body (width not girth). He also has some extra skin on his neck (expands during vocalization). The tricky part is that I have seen all 3 calling. Females are not supposed to call but I have heard of many accounts of females tricking their keepers into thinking they are male (eggs laid in a male-only tank). My answer is: does is really matter which sex they are? I've given up on figuring out mine unless i find eggs.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by PandaLove21 View Post
    It is almost impossible to tell the sex of FBTs. I thought I had 2 females and a male, as two are morphologically female as they are larger and to me look very frog-like (the shape of wild frogs up here in SK). My male is smaller and has a rounded body (width not girth). He also has some extra skin on his neck (expands during vocalization). The tricky part is that I have seen all 3 calling. Females are not supposed to call but I have heard of many accounts of females tricking their keepers into thinking they are male (eggs laid in a male-only tank). My answer is: does is really matter which sex they are? I've given up on figuring out mine unless i find eggs.
    Haha, that is interesting. Little trickster frogs. But no, the gender isn't too important, as I am not intending to breed. I just was curious to see how many of my animals I gave inappropriate gendered names to haha. So far the count is at least four
    Мy darlings :

PandaLove21

Hahaha ya i wanted to know for the same reasons. But I thought to myself, they r toads, it's not like they will care what their name is. So i have two female names (willow and ivy) and a male name (echo). They don't care so you shouldn't let it bother you

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by PandaLove21 View Post
    Hahaha ya i wanted to know for the same reasons. But I thought to myself, they r toads, it's not like they will care what their name is. So i have two female names (willow and ivy) and a male name (echo). They don't care so you shouldn't let it bother you
    Yeah, they'd never know. Besides maybe we are starting an ambiguous gendered frog/toad revolution lol
    Мy darlings :

Thread Information