Thread: Moving Pacific Tree Frog Spawn...

Maricela

Question Moving Pacific Tree Frog Spawn...

Hello, my first post to this forum. One of my resident tree frogs laid spawn under a water spout. I thought it would be a good idea to move the eggs because I didn't want a downpour of rain to come crashing down on them. I was able to move one cluster successfully but as I was moving the 2nd and 3rd cluster, the mass separated. I was able to collect one of the clusters, but the other spread out into the water . If a cluster gets separated or loses its gelatinous mass what are the chances that the tadpoles will survive if they are kept protected?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Moving Pacific Tree Frog Spawn...

Hello and welcome to FF Maricela! Where are you moving the eggs to? If in an aquarium; the main issue will be that eggs (or wrigglers) do not get infected by fungi before becoming free swimming. If in the wild; think free eggs will be more susceptible to predation. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Maricela

Quote Originally Posted by Mentat View Post
    Hello and welcome to FF Maricela! Where are you moving the eggs to? If in an aquarium; the main issue will be that eggs (or wrigglers) do not get infected by fungi before becoming free swimming. If in the wild; think free eggs will be more susceptible to predation. Good luck !
    I collected the eggs in a bucket using the same water they had been laid in. Once they hatch, I will be moving them into one of my raised ponds where a few hundred Pacific Chorus frog have transitioned to land on their own. My main concern was for the egg clusters that had been pulled apart while I was moving them. The clusters had appeared to separate and lose some of their gelatinous substance. How important is that jelly for their development? If they lose some of it, will they die?

Maricela

Great news! Looks like the frog eggs I transferred to my small, raised pond are doing all right. It appears that a lot of the eggs have hatched, at least a few dozen.

Thread Information