Thread: Cuban tree frog with bloody eye

mernerm

Default Cuban tree frog with bloody eye

I woke up this morning to find my Cuban sitting on the edge of his water dish with what looks to be a bloody eye. I can't see any sort of cut or other injury mark on him. I'm not really sure what to do about it, so any advice is appreciated.

He has been soaking in his water dish more than usual, if that helps at all. It is unusual to find him perched and awake on the edge of the bowl like he is right now.

I've included a really bad quality picture; you can see the blood on his face.
    Name:  cuban.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  162.8 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Cuban tree frog with bloody eye

Hi and sorry your frog is not well . That looks like a definite injury, either from some sharp decor in enclosure or frog jumped and hit eye with something during jump. First thing to do is try to avoid injury getting infected. Also, remove anything sharp you find inside enclosure.

Recommend get a bottle of Melafix at a pet store fish area. Mix 1 gallon solution with 80F dechlorinated tap water according to the label instructions. You can store it after mixing in a dark area. Use that solution for frog's dish, giving 2 bath's a day in a small critter keeper or plastic bowl with holed-up top (filled to frog chin depth) and can also slowly drip it over frog body while it sleeps. It's OK if it gets over eyes. Hopefully that will help healing.

If frog is eating then just continue treatment until it's well. If it stops eating; you can replace one of the daily baths with an unflavored Pedialyte solution bath (10% Pedialyte and 90% 80F dechlorinated tap) to try and perk it up. Good luck and please keep us informed of progress .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Carlos pretty much has it covered. Please keep updates on this thread since what you are going through now, others can learn from later.
    Rest in peace Rosie 5-31-12
    Rest in peace Rufus 2-7-14
    Rest in peace Morph 8-14-15

mernerm

Thank you for the advice! I will follow that and keep you updated. His eye isn't bloody today, but it still looks strange (looks slightly deflated compared to the other eye) and the pupil is considerably less dilated than his normal eye, too.

Thread Information