Thread: Cold room need heat

Mrnoah

Default Cold room need heat

My parents keep my room at 55 degrees when I'm not home and 65 degrees at night what should I use for a heat source for my fire belly toad with out drying my toad out? I have a 20 gallon high fish tank and don't have a wire top. I have a hood with a light that came with the tank.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    High Point, North Carolina, United States
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Cold room need heat

I run my house temps low like that when I'm away and sleeping. I have a heat pad like the one used for back pain from like cvs (w/o auto shutoff) that I keep on one side of my tank in case it gets too cold in there. I have rocks on that side to hold the heat as well. My tank has 4" of water with lots of rocks and docks so the frogs can go high and dry, middle and soak, or low & swim. I have 4 frogs and each have their preferences. However, I have never seen them by the heat pad. I think that between that and the water filter, the water temp must be just right cuz they spend most of their time in that middle zone. Name:  image.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  65.8 KB

PandaLove21

you could also get a low wattage heat bulb for the hood, and/or use a space heater in the room with the door closed to help keep things warm. I have all my critters in one room so the hot tanks (like my beardy's) generate enough heat to keep the room and the toads warm

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hello and welcome to FF! Your room temps are below those recommended for FBTs. If you describe your hood and maximum wattage capability maybe we can recommend something that will work. A heat pad on the side glass controlled by an automatic thermostat or manual rheostat could work; but they are not very efficient and loss heat to air around them. Also, water splashing on a hot glass could crack it.

If you get a screen top, then can lay a dimmer type dome made by Fluker's on it. A small 60 watt ceramic heat emitter should be enough to help warm them up a bit and you can use the dimmer to dial temperature in. Recommend cover the rest of the top screen with aluminum foil to prevent heat escaping to ambient cold air. Myself cover the whole screen first and tape the aluminum foil to the screen top edges. Then using a Sharpie, mark around the perimeter of the dome or light fixture and use scissors to cut the hole open. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]

I think your first concern should be your lid. A normal aquarium hoof is not going to keep a fbt in its tank forever. Some are exceptionally good at climbing glass if their bellies are wet, they can and will escape out the gaps in the back. As long as they have a good sized water dish I wouldn't worry about the lamps drying them out.

Sent from my RM-915_nam_usa_228 using Tapatalk
    2.0 Bombina orientalis
    1.0 Bufo americanus
    0.1.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    0.1 Xenopus laevis

All my arachnids and other inverts listed in my profile

Nationality
    [United States]

Get a proper lid for the tank to keep other things out and fbts in. At the least heat bulbs in your existing hood and fiberglass to cover the remainder can help keep heat from dissipating. If you use a heat pad with a water portion make sure you put the heat pad on the side
    Live Feeder Insects That You Need For Your Frogs & Lizards - All Natural Fed & Pre-Loaded With Nutrition
    Starter Colony Kits for Roaches, Crickets, Springtail & Isopods Cultures & More
    We Offer Friendlier Shipping Charges & NOW ALL ORDERS FREE SHIPPiNG over 175.00
    Follow Us on facebook NOW DISCOUNT ON FIRST ORDER AT CHECKOUT www.readyreptilefeeders.com

Thread Information