Thread: hen pecked frog

Juliet

Default hen pecked frog

I would be very grateful for some advice. A poor little frog took a wrong turn into my Chicken pen a few days ago and the chickens (two of them) had obviously spotted it and pecked it's head. (I love my two feathered girls..but I also love my frogs). The wounds on its head were quite nasty and so I brought it inside. I looked up on line what to do, put it on some damp scotch towel in a box, with some soil and leaves and two dishes of pond water and some chopped worms and meal worms. Three days later the wounds look as if they are beginning to heal but they still look really sore. I didn't put any anti septic cream on as I didn't know how this would affect the frog. It is still alive but I don't think it is eating and seems very weak. Should I put it back in the pond or keep it inside a few more days until the wounds have healed more? It is quite cold outside and I don't want it to die because of the cold water, having been inside for the last few days. But I also don't want it to starve. If anyone can help I would be very grateful. I do love my frogs very much and really want this little chap (or chappess) to survive. Others have begun to mate in the pond, another reason why I thought I should maybe put it back…but I just don't know…
    Thank you.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

limnologist

Default Re: hen pecked frog

you should probably just put it back in the pond, if there are frogs breeding right now then it will be ok. you cant really do much for it whether the wounds are fatal or not. in fact, it would probably be better to let it go so it isnt shocked or stressed from being captive. usually a perfectly healthy frog dies just from the shock of being captured, so it is for the best to let it go.

100+ Post Member Louis Charles Bruckner's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I have successfully rehabbed a baby toad that lost left foot completely.

All you need to set up a small hospital for it is a plastic bin 22cm X30cm with a lid with holes.
    Put a paper towel in the bottom moistened with treated tap water.
    and kept in a quiet area that is ~22c and if you have any triple antibiotic cream with out pain killer you can warm the tube of it in a glass of warm not hot water.
    and dab on a little bit on the wounds.
    change out the paper towel every day.
    The toad should heal up in about a couple of weeks.
    you can feed earth worm pieces or crickets that are the same size as the distance in between the toads eyes.

The key is ti lessen stress as much as possible,
    it doesn't need any special light just room lights will be enough.
    and cover three sides with brown paper to also lessen stress.

keeping the toad clean will speed its recovery.

Then when it is all healed up you can release it.
    Your choice.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Agree with Louis advice ! How is frog doing now? Where you able to obtain and apply a topical non-analgesic antibiotic?
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Thread Information