Thread: Proper covers for a pacman frog?

jtrstars

Default Proper covers for a pacman frog?

I have recently purchase a PAC-Man frog from Pet Smart. I had a american green tree frog before, unfortunately lost due to the fungus infection, so I didn't purchase other equipment as I already had a 10 gallon terrarium, coconut shaving flooring. I have not had a cover for the new frog because the the tree frog lived on the plants. I would like to know some good covers to put in the terrarium. I would like to know any other tips for the care of Pacman frog.

The frog is named Namco, after the company that made PAC-MAN games. Namco is 4 months old and I believe is male but I have not be able to pick him up because he is still becoming familiar with his new home.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Proper covers for a pacman frog?

Hello and welcome to FF ! Please read this article as soon as possible: Frog Forum - Pacman and Horned Frogs - Ceratophrys - Care and Breeding. You need to remove those wood shavings and replace them with shredded coco substrate (EcoEarth or Plantation Soil). Pacman frogs need a daily temp. of 82F (a few degree drop at night is OK) and a humidity of 70-80%. Analog gauges are inaccurate so digital ones are preferred.

You will need a screened top and probably a heat source which can be a red light bulb or a ceramic heat emitter in a dome type fixture (get one with dimmer so you can control output). Depending on your home humidity; you might need to spray enclosure couple times a day. If too dry still; can cover most of top with aluminum paper to help maintain humidity. Frogs water dish and the water to mix the substrate with should be dechlorinated tap. Substrate should be slightly damp so it clumps in fist but does not drip water out. Add some artificial silk plants and cover 3 sides of the enclosure with a dark color paper and you got the basics covered.

Crickets should be sized same as distance between frogs eyes or smaller and gut loaded with carrots, lettuce and oats or cherios 24-48 hours before feeding. Not dyed night crawlers (from Walmart or bait shops) are excellent food. Can use this guide for supplementing the food: http://www.frogforum.net/food-feeder...schedules.html.

How long is the frog from snout to vent? Asking because babies can get stressed in a 10 gal. tank. Do not handle frog unless necessary; frogs are look but don't touch pets. Good luck !
    Last edited by Mentat; February 17th, 2014 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Grammar
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

jtrstars

Default Re: Proper covers for a pacman frog?

I have confirm he is a boy and he not too big I amuse. I live in Florida were the humanity is always high and even thou it is late winter the temperature are in the 80's and lowest is in the 40's. I don't have a screened lid but a plastic one is that still alright? I will admit I do handle him because my last frog, the american green tree frog loved to be handled. Every time I put my hand into the tank she would just jump in my hand. Namco even thou he doesn't jump in my hand like my last frog he does not seems to mine as he will just sit in my hand and never try to bit. I do not have all the gauges but I do mist the cage daily. I did my research on the Pac-Man frog in the wild and they live in a similar area to Florida so he should do find with out constant misting or temperature monitoring. At night because it may be cold I do place a blanket over his cage so he can stay warm. I am aware they have not body heat but it seems to work because if I don't place the blanket on top og his cage he hide completely in the dirt instead of just half way.

Thread Information