Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Waxy monkey frog or milk amazon frog?

Tree frog maniac

Default Waxy monkey frog or milk amazon frog?

I found interest in both frogs but I want you opinions on th if I get any of these desigions I will be getting two so if your gonna tell me the tank size lets know for 2 and tell me in Fallon's not in length and width.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Waxy monkey frog or milk amazon frog?

I vote for the Milk's and would go no smaller than a 40 gallon vertical.
    Rest in peace Rosie 5-31-12
    Rest in peace Rufus 2-7-14
    Rest in peace Morph 8-14-15

Tree frog maniac

Really ? I know people who have gone 20, 15 or even 10 gallons and they say that they were perfectly happy?????.....!!!!!
    ps they were all adaults to!

Nationality
    [United States]

Trachycephalus resinifictrix - Milk Amazon frogs grows 3 to 3.5 in. SVL. Phyllomedusa sauvagii - Waxy Monkey frogs grows 2 to 3 in. SVL. Both species are arboreal so taller enclosures are required and the 40 gal. size recommended by Gail sounds about right. Myself would recommend a 24x18x24 in. ExoTerra as a minimum for either of your choices; and I'm certain a 36 in. tall enclosure would not go wasted by either species.

How does anyone measure the happiness level of a large tree frog in a tiny 10G enclosure ?
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]

Kinda like on youtube showing grey tree frog set up Frog Care : How To Care For a Gray Tree Frog - YouTube

I have 3 WTF's in the exo terra 36 x 36 x 18 and they use every inch of space in there. If I could have gone bigger I would have. Just take into consideration that these creatures have an unlimited supply of space when in their natural habitat. Sure frogs can live in smaller spaces, but are they thriving.
    Rest in peace Rosie 5-31-12
    Rest in peace Rufus 2-7-14
    Rest in peace Morph 8-14-15

Nationality
    [Canada]

Lol same dilemma i'm facing too, love both and i will probably get both lol

However.... Sauvagii are not available for more then a year in Canada, anywhere so im thinking OP is talking about bicolors. If that so, you better get milks, it will be easier to care in Ontario. You wont need additional heating, only humidity, but you have tons of that goodness in where you live. Also if you get milks that recently are of the water from one awesome breeder in manitoba, they will be healthy, cb and easy to care. Tank size you will need for 3 is considerably smaller then you need for one bicolor.

As for me i think i get waxies ( bicolors), they are for advanced keeper, and need huge enclosures. Im not sure of what i'm gotta do, but i think i will go with 42"x18"x76" or similar for 2-3. Or may be even bigger. These are 4-5" monsters with about 10" leg span when climbing.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Tree frog maniac

Wait, your telling me that ways are about to be illegal in canada ?

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Tree frog maniac View Post
    Wait, your telling me that ways are about to be illegal in canada ?
    I don't think that's what she meant.

There just may not be anybody breeding them or importing them in at the moment.

Nationality
    [Canada]

No,they are perfectly legal here, but impossible to get. Port credit has a few right now i think, for absolutely ridiculous price. And that is first time in 2 years someone has sauvagii for sale. You will have problems keeping them in ontario, they need alberta humidity lol
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Tree frog maniac

What do u mean Alberta humiditys? The Sauvignons don't like humidity they need 1-2 light sprays a week which they won't like but it's what the care guide said

Tree frog maniac

I might have someone who can order them for me to his store...
    but what's easier to take care of waxy or milky

Nationality
    [United States]

What do u mean Alberta humiditys? The Sauvignons don't like humidity they need 1-2 light sprays a week which they won't like but it's what the care guide said
    Don't keep Sauvagii's but what care guide are you referring to?

Tree frog maniac

I mean people say that the milky is easier but the waxy all you have to do is light spray 1-2 times a week have a basking light day and night and hight temps at the top of the terrarium and low lower at the bottom. I mean these are the main ones... Lol they don't seem that hard to take care of compared to a milky in which you would have to spray for high humidity temps... Lol idk the waxy just seems easier someone tell me which one is and why and why not ?

Tree frog maniac

Why???

Nationality
    [United States]

Why???
    Just wondering.....

Nationality
    [Canada]

I'll explain. We dont have humidity in alberta, average humidity in summer is about 30-40% if we're lucky, in winter at home it is at 10-20%, so it makes AB climate perfect for waxies, not for me though and i have humidifiers in almost all rooms + central. Lol
    In ontario it is opposite, if im not mistaken you have average of 60-70%, that is way too much for waxies. It is always easier to plug in fogger, increase misting if needed then to lower humidity. That is your main problem. With any frog it is a matter of knowing what they need, and once you achieve it is not that difficult. You're right on heating lamps day and night, but you will need different ones for day and night, for 2 males sauvagii they can live in 18x18x24, but if you have females, for 2 you need to go with 24x18x24 or bigger.

milks are easier, because you dont need to add heating, they're fine in lower then waxies need temps, you dont need to increase humidity by much if you live where you do. Milks are considered easier because they are typical tree frogs, thus typical principles apply, with waxies everything is different - in higher then 40% humidity, luck of UVB and in general sunlight, in luck of ventilation and small space they wont survive. But if you really want to get sauvagii, plan on getting at least 2. I can guide you step by step how to set up everything.
    As much as i love other frogs, but waxies are by far my favourite!

Tree frog maniac

im interested in waxies!!!!! so your telling me dont get waxie(s) but get milkys ? i want waxies but im still confused with what you said i know they need low humidity but where i live has high humidity wouldn't i be able to lower it in their terrarium some how? give me the pros and cons for having waxies where i live !!!!! but alsow tell me what i can do to contain their temps!!!!!

Nationality
    [United States]

The humidity in you general area will not be the same inside of an enclosure with heat lamps. Heat lamps dry out the air. Get digital thermometers/ hydrometers to measure you temps and humidity inside the cage.

Tree frog maniac

so your saying i can get the waxy monkey tree frog (phyllomadusa suvigii) now that you told me the heat drys out the terratium.
    so tell me once and for all both of you can i get a suvigii based on where i live!
    ...lija tell me all i will need for two waxys (suvigiis) and for the terrarium tell me the size with something that would be around me that would measure too the size of the terratium and i want exo terra. tell me the measurements.
    oh and by the way a small fan in their terrarium can blow out the humidity.
    sorry i sound so demanding but im just kinda excited about getting one.
    ps... if i cant end up getting a suvigii i will definatly be getting two amazon milks...

Tree frog maniac

I know their an expensive frog but what is the normal retail price for the suvigii? I already know the price for the milks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information