Thread: Red leg????????????

Stephhyeahh

Default Red leg????????????

Hi guys,
    I'm in need of a bit of help, I've had two of my frogs for three years now, no problems what so ever and a few days ago i purchased three more, I've kept them in a separate tank beside my other frogs. But i did notice they had discolouring in their legs. So I have already booked them into the vet on Monday. Even though ive kept them separate i did the most stupiest thing while in quarantine - i used the same tweezers to feed both groups........
    Now one of my frogs Ive had for years has suddenly got really red legs and abdomen. PLEASE tell me this isn't red leg!! BUT if it is what can i do in the next 48 hours until i see the vet?!
    He is still quite active and croaks but as i said, Ive only just picked up on this and i haven't even had the new frogs for a week yet. Any help would be amazing!!

Name:  frog 1.jpg
Views: 787
Size:  80.8 KBName:  frog 2.jpg
Views: 768
Size:  92.0 KBName:  frog 3.jpg
Views: 779
Size:  79.1 KBName:  frog 4.jpg
Views: 768
Size:  76.0 KB

Thank you! Stephanie.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Red leg????????????

Hello and welcome to FF Stephanie; sorry your frogs are not well ! I'm not sure if it is "Red Leg" or some other skin affliction. No matter what is it; appears bacterial and very contagious. Red leg can be caused by bad husbandry, which don't think is the case or by stress. Once the bacterial population gets out of control it can spread like wildfire to other healthy frogs.

Reducing stress in your frogs is crucial. Please ensure the new frogs enclosure is covered on all sides. Sick frogs should be in a hospital like set-up with unprinted damp paper towel for substrate, some sterile branches, silk plants, and a water dish.

I've read a good Red Leg treatment is salt water baths. You can prepare those adding 1 teaspoon of aquarium salt to 1 gal. 80F (27C) dechlorinated tap. Give frogs a bath in chin depth water at night for 20 minutes. Can also wait until they are asleep and using an eye drooper, drip the solution over their body. It's important you start treatment now because it might be too late for help in 48 hours.

Also, I've had good results using Melafix (aquarium fish natural anti-biotic) dealing with frog bacterial diseases; but have not tried against Red Leg. If interested, use the bottle label to mix formula with dechlorinated tap and apply solution same as with salt water baths; to fill the frog's water dish, and to soak the paper towels use for substrate. Good luck
    !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Stephhyeahh

Hi! Thanks so much for the help, all my 5 frogs seem to have the same symptoms of the odd tinge to their legs and it's only started from when I got the new ones. How would you suggest to do this to all 5? But they are all still very active, eating like pigs and croaking so I'm not sure what the go is! Quite puzzled if you ask me!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by Stephhyeahh View Post
    ...How would you suggest to do this to all 5? But they are all still very active, eating like pigs and croaking so I'm not sure what the go is!...
    I'm not quite sure quite understand your question. Obviously you need to keep the newcomers away from your established frogs. Also, need to separate the older frog with same symptoms from the asymptomatic ones. The reason for the recommended hospital like set-ups is that it's a lot easier to keep enclosure clean and provide little area for pathogens to multiply. Once Red Leg or other bacteria weaken a frog; other pathogens like parasites and fungi are soon to follow.

If you do not have the aquarium salt and/or Melafix; need to get those from a local pet shop in order to start a treatment before possible disease advances to point of no return.

Understand from your post, the frogs are acting normal and eating. That is a good sign and if you prefer to wait until veterinary appointment; that is your choice .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Randy

there is a way to check press on the afflicted area and see if it turns white then back to red . If so it probably is not red leg.More like something else from a irritation to light bacterial infection . I would use and antibiotic cream on them and see if it changes anything.Salt water baths work as well but are a bit harsh on their sensitive skin .When SAM had an irritation ( my large pacman frog )I used a triple antibiotic cream on her underside and it went away .IT was simply that she was burrowing down into the glass bottom of the tank and rubbing herself on the glass trying to get deeper.This caused a skin irritation.My fix for this was simple. shes a large frog so i put in 6 inches or more of cocohusk substrate so she could completely submerge herself without having to go all the way to the glass .She has a hot and cold zone and a nice large water dish and i keep the top of the substrate wet an inch down the rest is only humidified by the reptifogger and humiditsat. Some frogs have alight red hue on the underside all the time , but i would have your vet check this out to be sure you do not have red leg or some other disease .

Stephhyeahh

Smile Re: Red leg????????????

Okay just an update with my 5 frogs; they're fine! Took them to the vet today and what seemed to be the problem was stress. The vet reckons because the frog knows there is new frogs around but can't get to them yet is causing stress and possibly "sexual frustration" as she said. So the discolouration is made by the frog to make him stand out more and also because of stress. Thanks all for the help

Randy

Im so glad to hear that they are alright

Thread Information