Thread: Providing Clean Water to Reptiles & Amphibians: the Nitrogen Cycle

findiviglio

Default Providing Clean Water to Reptiles & Amphibians: the Nitrogen Cycle

Hi, Frank Indiviglio here. I知 a herpetologist, zoologist, and book author, recently retired from a career spent at several zoos, aquariums, and museums, including over 20 years with the Bronx Zoo.
    Successful aquarists know the importance of monitoring the nitrogen cycle, and the lessons I learned while working for fish importers and sellers have served me well when caring for all manner of creatures. When I began my career in zoos, I was surprised to find that reptile and amphibian keepers, while aware of the necessity for clean water, did not generally pay attention to understanding water chemistry and its effects on animal health. That situation is much changed today, but professional and private herp keepers can still take some lessons from our aquarist friends. Awhile back, I helped establish an amphibian exhibit at the Maritime Aquarium in Norwalk, Ct. I was not surprised when the aquarists there, despite lacking prior amphibian experience, excelled at their care and breeding. Today we値l look at how the nitrogen cycle functions and review some useful care techniques and products. Read the rest of this article here Providing Clean Water to Reptiles and Amphibians | That Reptile Blog
    Please also check out my posts on Twitter http://bitly.com/JP27Nj and Facebook http://on.fb.me/KckP1m

My Bio, with photos of animals I致e been lucky enough to work with: That Pet Place welcomes Zoologist/Herpetologist Frank Indiviglio to That Reptile Blog | That Reptile Blog

Best Regards, Frank

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Providing Clean Water to Reptiles & Amphibians: the Nitrogen Cycle

Hello Frank and thanks for another well written article . One event I've experienced when establishing tanks is that using ammonia or nitrite neutralizing chemicals will actually sequester these compounds. Although manufacturers state the ammonia and nitrites are still available to bacteria; my experience is that they are not.

Because of that, bacteria populations partially collapse due to lack of food, and that extends the time required to establish a stable biological cycle. After 52 years in hobby of aquarium keeping my average to establish a stable biological cycle without seeding with filter material from another tank is around 30 days. Adding a culture product usually shortens that in half. In two instances when I used 2 different ammonia/nitrite neutralizing products, the period extended to 2 months .

Have you experienced any similar events? Thank you !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

findiviglio

Default Re: Providing Clean Water to Reptiles & Amphibians: the Nitrogen Cycle

Quote Originally Posted by Mentat View Post
    Hello Frank and thanks for another well written article . One event I've experienced when establishing tanks is that using ammonia or nitrite neutralizing chemicals will actually sequester these compounds. Although manufacturers state the ammonia and nitrites are still available to bacteria; my experience is that they are not.

Because of that, bacteria populations partially collapse due to lack of food, and that extends the time required to establish a stable biological cycle. After 52 years in hobby of aquarium keeping my average to establish a stable biological cycle without seeding with filter material from another tank is around 30 days. Adding a culture product usually shortens that in half. In two instances when I used 2 different ammonia/nitrite neutralizing products, the period extended to 2 months .

Have you experienced any similar events? Thank you !
    Hi Carlos,

Sorry for the delay, your comment slipped past me somehow. Thanks for the observations. I've had a similar report from another well-experienced aquarist, but I can't say I've seen that myself. Lately I've been setting up exhibits at a public aquarium and then leaving them to the care of the staff (I'm n as a consultant), so I've not followed up as much as in years past; I'll mention your experiences the next time I'm there; perhaps someone will have info to add,. best, Frank

5. This member thanks findiviglio for this post:

Thread Information