Thread: Vitamin D3 & UVB: Important New Information

findiviglio

Default Vitamin D3 & UVB: Important New Information

Hi, Frank Indiviglio here. I’m a herpetologist, zoologist, and book author, recently retired from a career spent at several zoos, aquariums, and museums, including over 20 years with the Bronx Zoo.
    We’ve long known that many reptiles need Ultra Violet B (UVB) light exposure in order to manufacture Vitamin D3. Vitamin D3, which is essential for proper calcium uptake, is also present in many foods, and some reptiles can utilize it in this form. However, there are some gray areas. It seems that reptiles long considered incapable of using dietary D3 (and which therefore need UVB light exposure), can sometimes obtain D3 from their diet (please see chameleon and day gecko articles linked below). Generalizations can be misleading – for example, the study summarized below shows that two anole species sharing the same habitat obtain D3 in very different ways. Read the rest of this article here Vitamin D3, UVB and Pet Reptiles: New Information | That Reptile Blog
    Please also check out my posts on Twitter http://bitly.com/JP27Nj and Facebook http://on.fb.me/KckP1m

My Bio, with photos of animals I’ve been lucky enough to work with: That Pet Place welcomes Zoologist/Herpetologist Frank Indiviglio to That Reptile Blog | That Reptile Blog

Best Regards, Frank

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Vitamin D3 & UVB: Important New Information

Thanks for thread and linked article Frank! In regards to frogs response to artificial UVA or UVB exposure; do you have any input? I'm specifically interested in the cases of frogs that bask in the Sun either during active or sleep periods like Litoria caerulea; Litoria aurea; or Waxy Monkey frogs in the Phyllomedusa genus.

It appears to me from available literature these frogs do fine on food supplemented CA/D3; but can't find info to support if they can also benefit from exposure to UVA or UVB type bulbs? Thank you !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

findiviglio

Default Re: Vitamin D3 & UVB: Important New Information

Quote Originally Posted by Mentat View Post
    Thanks for thread and linked article Frank! In regards to frogs response to artificial UVA or UVB exposure; do you have any input? I'm specifically interested in the cases of frogs that bask in the Sun either during active or sleep periods like Litoria caerulea; Litoria aurea; or Waxy Monkey frogs in the Phyllomedusa genus.

It appears to me from available literature these frogs do fine on food supplemented CA/D3; but can't find info to support if they can also benefit from exposure to UVA or UVB type bulbs? Thank you !
    Hi Carlos,

Unfortunately there's not much, other than some notes on eye problems caused by overexposure to UVB (species that would not normally bask etc.; I've seen this, possibly, in wood frogs, gray treefrogs); those you mention do seem to do fine, over several generations, w/o UVB/UVA. Low output UVB would likely do no harm if they can get away from it; UVA seems to assist in maintaining circadian rhythms, induces breeding behavior (in some lizards, perhaps others) but again, little research on point as far as I know, and not absolutely necessary. Worth looking into, taking notes on anything that may be related if you have an interest...enjoy and please keep me posted, Frank

5. This member thanks findiviglio for this post:

Thread Information