Thread: petco pacman frog

katon

Default petco pacman frog

well I went to petco last Saturday to pick up a few things for Oscar and I see this beautiful ornate pacman that has green, brown, tan and yellow scared out of his mind. backed into a corner as 50 people walk by him every minute. I had just moved Oscar from his 10 gallon tank to a 5.5 so I do have the room. so I picked up a new fogger, water dish etc. for him. well he was not very happy to see a hand coming for him. I have seen some vids of an unhappy pacman and its true. It freaked the petco guy out. got him all boxed up and got him home. well on the ride home Oliver took a big poop and hopped right out of the box and behind a plant in his new home. first ting he did was burrow deep into the eco earth because all he had was that sphagnum moss they kept him in. when h burrowed he put his snout in the corner completely covered for a few days. I thought that was expected since he was in a new setting. well he just stayed there all covered up and then I moved him out from the corner. Oliver did puff up bit but didn't scream and try to bite me. I tried to tong feed him some crickets but wouldn't take them but would chase them. after he was full he went back to the corner and kept trying to climb over the glass trying to escape. I took the plants and placed them into the corners. he tried to get back there again but gave up and went and sat in his water dish for a few minutes and pooped another turd. now he is just facing the glass. is pacman frogs from a store like that more of a challenge since that seems to be all they know?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: petco pacman frog

Makes me sad when I see the frogs in the big chain stores. Bare minimum for a setup and they all looked scared to death or sickly. Wish I had the money to buy them all, but they I feel like I would be supporting importing wild caught pets.

Nationality
    [United States]

I was in Petco the other day and was pleasantly shocked to see not only that they had all their pacmans in ecoearth instead of the sphagnum moss.. But enough substrate for burrowing! I was so happy for these guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nationality
    [United States]

Finding an Ornate at Petsmart is a good deal . If frog is eating and pooping I would just let it relax and ensure enclosure parameters are OK. What is frog size snout to vent (SVL) and what is enclosure size? Any pics?
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

katon

Oliver is about 3.5 and is in my 10 gallon tank. I have some pics on my iPhone but it's been a pain trying to get them transferred to my computer. I don't think I can post them here from my phone

katon

Randy

i have gotten both my pacmans from petco . Once you get them home and in a good quiet environment they do fine.Our petco uses eco earth as well .

100+ Post Member Louis Charles Bruckner's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Great rescue,
    if you don't mind how much did they charge you for him?

I got my frog from a petsmart where they had him in a critter keeper filled with moss and the critter keeper was in a tank with a bearded dragoon,
    That poor frog was scared out of it wits.
    but now he is the most laid back frog I have ever seen, has never tried to bite me or scream he does croak sometimes and makes little sounds
    when I have to pick him up for cleaning, like "orif" sound LOL

Nationality
    [United States]
    High Point, North Carolina, United States

I was just in Petsmart yesterday and looked in on the Fire Belly Toad tank to see three juveniles malnourished and lethargic. I felt so bad. I wanted to buy them to rescue them, but then Petsmart would just bring in more to abuse. I hated to walk away. It just broke my heart.

katon

He was $40 but I talked them down to $30 because of the condition of the tank he was in.

Nationality
    [United States]

Real pretty frog with nice patterns and colors; but looks like a Ceratophrys cranwelli to me .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Thread Information