Thread: new to pacmans

katon

Default new to pacmans

First off I think this sight is just awesome! I ordered the 10 gallon zoo med pacman habitat then set it up to the video from lllreptile YouTube videos. then Oscar showed up. I didn't order a fancy pacman frog just a green and brown one. at first Oscar was happy feeding from tongs eating crickets and a few very small mealworms, he has taken out at 12 days for a soaking in lukewarm spring water with a drip of honey two nice size poops since then. he was on the heat pad that was on the right side of the 10 gallon tank that's located under the glass but the past few days he goes for the colder side I have the two sided covered with brown paper help keep stress down. I have taken clear plastic wrap to keep humidly but has a strip for air and a fogger on a timer. since I work every extended hours at work.Oscar has not eaten sin last week.im keeping temps in the 80 and humidly the best I can with fogger. am just not sure what could doing wrong.when the fogger is working its about 90

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

DesertHeat

Hello! Welcome to frog forum!

I'm sorry to hear your little guy isn't eating.

First if you could fill out the following questions it will help us greatly in helping you:

1. Size of enclosure
    2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences
    3. Humidity
    4. Temperature
    5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish
    6. Materials used for substrate
    7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials.
    - How were things prepared prior to being put into the viv.
    8. Main food source
    9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often)
    10. Lighting
    11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure
    12. When is the last time he/she ate
    13. Have you found poop lately
    14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine)
    15. How old is the frog
    16. How long have you owned him/her
    17. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred
    18. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats
    19. How often the frog is handled
    20. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area
    21. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc

Second make sure you've read the care sheet found here:

http://www.frogforum.net/care-sheet-...ubmission.html

Hope to hear back from you soon!

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

100+ Post Member Louis Charles Bruckner's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: new to pacmans

Quote Originally Posted by katon View Post
    First off I think this sight is just awesome! I ordered the 10 gallon zoo med pacman habitat then set it up to the video from lllreptile YouTube videos. then Oscar showed up. I didn't order a fancy pacman frog just a green and brown one. at first Oscar was happy feeding from tongs eating crickets and a few very small mealworms, he has taken out at 12 days for a soaking in lukewarm spring water with a drip of honey two nice size poops since then. he was on the heat pad that was on the right side of the 10 gallon tank that's located under the glass but the past few days he goes for the colder side I have the two sided covered with brown paper help keep stress down. I have taken clear plastic wrap to keep humidly but has a strip for air and a fogger on a timer. since I work every extended hours at work.Oscar has not eaten sin last week.im keeping temps in the 80 and humidly the best I can with fogger. am just not sure what could doing wrong.when the fogger is working its about 90
    OK
    you have answered some of the questions in the trouble in the enclosure sheet.

I hope when you say that you have the heat pad mounted on the right side under the glass.
    that it is on the right side of the tank on the out side of the glass but not under the tank.

These frogs burrow for may reasons.
    first is to hide from predators and from their prey. ( they are ambush predators)
    Second is to cool down.

How old is your frog and what size is it. from snout to vent.
    if it is a baby the 10 gallon tank may be a bit too big and could be stressing the little one out.
    you can get a little plastic critter keeper and set it up in it until it gets at least 2 in snout to vent.
    and keep the critter keeper in side of the 10 gal tank.

Also do you have a water dish that it can get in and out of?
    You have done a lot of things correctly.

What kind of gauges do you have. I hope digital ones.
    also what are you using to control the fogger.
    humidity from 70-80% is good but 90 is a bit too high and can cause problems.
    Please read the care sheet that DesertHeat linked to.
    It has a lot of good info.

I reserve the honey for when my frog hasn't had a bm in a couple of weeks.
    I soak my frog once a week during the cleaning of his enclosure.
    I have 9X 16 Plastic bin that I fill with 80F treated tap water and cover with a towel
    to reduce stress and give him some privacy.
    99% of the time this does the trick and he does his business.
    I put him back in and he picks out a new spot to burrow down.

Nationality
    [United States]

Hello and welcome to FF! First time I read Zoomed has a Pacman frog kit and see a couple problems in it. First, moss is an impaction risk should frog ingest it, so get rid of it. Second as mentioned by Louis, a 10 gallon tank will stress out a baby Pacman. Recommend something like an ExoTerra medium breeding box for them. Only thing you need in there is the EcoEarth or Plantation Soil substrate, a water dish with daily changed dechlorinated water, and a small silk plant. Then place the whole thing in the 10 gallon that is controlled to 82F and between 70-80% humidity.

Those analog gauges are usually inaccurate so replacing them with a digital one is another priority. If your humidifier brings humidity to 90% that is too high. The heat mat goes on the tank side and if not enough to get desired temps add a red lamp or ceramic heat emitter in a dome with dimmer.

Spring bottled water can be treated safe for humans which makes it unsafe for frogs. Recommend use dechlorinated tap for water dish and mixing EcoEarth until slightly damp and clumps in fist without dripping water out. You can use distilled water in humidifier if desired.

Crickets should be sized same as distance between frog's eyes and gut loaded for 24-48 hours before feeding the frog with carrots, lettuce, oats, or cherios. Mealworms are fatty and an impaction hazard. You can feed not dyed night crawlers (available at Walmarts and bait shops) and can cut from pointy end to mouth size bits for babies and body length for juveniles.

Hope this helps and for more information can read this article: Frog Forum - Pacman and Horned Frogs - Ceratophrys - Care and Breeding. Please do answer the questions posted previously and good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

katon

1. Size of enclosure
    10 gallon but picked up a 5 gallon today at lunch
    jus Oscar
    3. Humidity
    not 100% sure on that. when I got home from work it was about 65
    4. Temperature
    the analog was at 88 and the digital in the substrate was 107
    distilled for the misting and spring for soaking
    eco earth
    7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials.
    one half log, one vine and 2 small bushes
    8. Main food source
    crickets
    reptocal and rpashy is what use once a week

10. Lighting
    zoo med 60w day and 60w red night
    heat pad under the right side tank
    one digital for the substrate
    last statuary
    big poop last sundry and a few drops here and there
    14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine)
    15. How old is the frog
    juvy
    week
    bresd
    18. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats
    super woms
    when ceaning

SqUaReJeLLy

If those temps are correct please get that frog out of there and unplug your heating pad. The air temp is high but that substrate temp is cooking your frog. The substrate should be cooler to allow your frog to cool off.

DesertHeat

1. Size of enclosure
    10 gallon but picked up a 5 gallon today at lunch
    jus Oscar
    3. Humidity
    not 100% sure on that. when I got home from work it was about 65

60-80 is a good range for the humidity in the tank, but you want to be 100% sure on that. Make sure you get a digital thermometer/hygrometer. Petsmart has good digital combo meters for about 15 dollars.

4. Temperature
    the analog was at 88 and the digital in the substrate was 107

Whoa! Way to hot here. These frogs burrow to cool off, if the substrate is that hot then as Squarejelly said you're cooking your frog. Move the under tank heater to the side of the tank, above the substrate level. The temp ranges you want to aim for are 80-82 during the day and 78-80 at night. To help dial in the temps you can leave the light off or leave the UTH off and see where it puts you. I'd also recommend getting a thermostat to hook your heating devices up to, then it will automatically turn them off/turn them on to keep the temps in the proper range. A Zoomed Hygrotherm Amazon.com: Zoo Med HygroTherm Humidity and Temperature Controller: Pet Supplies is a good option.

distilled for the misting and spring for soaking

Distilled is ok for misting provided you don't spray your frog directly (it can leech nutrients out of your frog.) Spring water is not necessarily safe for frogs just because it's safe for humans. Use dechlorinated tap water for the soaking dish and hydrating the substrate. You can use freshwater aquarium dechlorinator found at most petstores or use reptisafe.

eco earth
    one half log, one vine and 2 small bushes
    8. Main food source
    crickets

Make sure your crickets are properly gut loaded 24 hours prior to feeding. Gut loaded means the crickets have been fed nutritious foods like carrots, potato, cheerios. You can also use prepared cricket feeds like Fluker's.

reptocal and rpashy is what use once a week

A good dusting schedule can be found here http://www.frogforum.net/food-feeder...schedules.html

10. Lighting
    zoo med 60w day and 60w red night
    heat pad under the right side tank
    one digital for the substrate
    last statuary
    big poop last sundry and a few drops here and there
    15. How old is the frog
    juvy

How long SVL (snout to vent)?

week
    bresd
    super woms

Superworms and mealworms both have hard chitinous exoskeletons which are hard for the frogs to digest. These indigestible pieces can become lodged in their gastrointestinal tracts and cause impaction. An occasional treat of a superworm might be ok, since they have less in the way of exoskeleton than mealworms but since you've only had the frog a week and don't know how prone to impaction it may be I would recommend against it.

when ceaning

You seem to be on the right track and once you fix these issues you'll be doing well. The main issues I see are the heat and the spring water. You should make those your priorities. You also want to get rid of the analog thermometer/hygrometers and replace them with digital to ensure accurate readings.

Also again make sure you've read the care sheet that both Carlos and I provided links to.

Good luck and remember we always like to see pictures!

katon

I did the changes as was asked. I was wondering if you could have too much plants and hiding places.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Nationality
    [United States]

Glad you removed the heat pad from below substrate; 107F is dangerously high for these frogs .

You can have plants and decor as long as Pacman still has several areas to bury.

I'm not sure if it's my old eyes; but see some vesicle like glistening spheres on the first and fourth pics, on the frogs rear area near vent. Are those on frog's skin or is it just substrate clinging to frog?
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

katon

the pics are about a week old. its the substrate. ill work on some more pics soon. the camera I have doesn't like to take clear pics in the enclosure. think I have to find the right setting

katon

Default new to pacmans

Got the zoo med hygro therm in the mail today and have it hooked up and running. I do notice that his color keeps getting duller as the days go by.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

100+ Post Member Louis Charles Bruckner's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Your frog looks almost exactly like my frog,
    He lost almost all of what I call his baby green.
    When I first got him he was almost all bright green.
    Now he has very little of that green left. and he's is almost all brown.
    So I think that this is completely normal.

katon

well when I got home it seems Oscar has eaten all 4 of the crickets that was left for him and he also left a big ole poop for me.

Thread Information