Thread: Superworms as a treat

MikeIsGreen

Default Superworms as a treat

Hey everybody! I first want to say that I have been researching this question on this forum, but came up with conflicting answers. My question is, my pacman (lil bruiser) feeds on gut loaded crickets and here recently the shops I go to were all out of crickets due to extreme cold shipping conditions. Today I was able to get more crickets and he never went without, but I decided to buy some superworms after talking with the petsmart employee to vary his diet and have a back up food source. Can I even feed him the superworms? She told me to remove the head and feed no more than 3-4 per night with my crickets. That seems like too much from what I gathered on here. So, instead of just doing what she said, I want to get the forums opinion first. Thanks for your time

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Superworms as a treat

Superworms are a treat food only. They cannot be used as a staple or as a replacement for crickets. Buy some Night Crawlers. They are almost always abundant and far more healthy for the frog than the other two.

MikeIsGreen

Grif thank you very much for the quick reply! I was just wanting to vary his diet a little bit. Not looking to replace the crickets at all..just wanted to give him a little treat. How should I go about it as a treat? Once a week or every other week? Thanks guys!

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by MikeIsGreen View Post
    Grif thank you very much for the quick reply! I was just wanting to vary his diet a little bit. Not looking to replace the crickets at all..just wanted to give him a little treat. How should I go about it as a treat? Once a week or every other week? Thanks guys!
    Give the frog one or two every couple of days or so. How big is your frog Snout fo Vent?

MikeIsGreen

Grif...he (I believe it's a male anyway) is 2 1/2 - 3" snout to vent. He doesn't seem interested in the superworms at all. Last night I did he monthly substrate change out and I couldn't find any poop in it, but I didn't think much of it. After I put him back in after the change he pooped and not to be gross but it was the size of my pinky finger easily. Then he ate in a manner I've never seen..he was on the surface and aggressively going after crickets and nailing everyone of them. He ended up eating around 9 and then settled in to his fresh substrate. I couldn't help to wonder was he impacted? Is that size of poop normal for a small frog? Thanks guys!

Namio

Grif...he (I believe it's a male anyway) is 2 1/2 - 3" snout to vent. He doesn't seem interested in the superworms at all. Last night I did he monthly substrate change out and I couldn't find any poop in it, but I didn't think much of it. After I put him back in after the change he pooped and not to be gross but it was the size of my pinky finger easily. Then he ate in a manner I've never seen..he was on the surface and aggressively going after crickets and nailing everyone of them. He ended up eating around 9 and then settled in to his fresh substrate. I couldn't help to wonder was he impacted? Is that size of poop normal for a small frog? Thanks guys!
    The poop size is certainly normal. Most Pacman frogs do a good job regulating themselves in how much they eat. When mine are full they will just ignore food. Offer food to your frog on a regular schedule and pretty soon you will find out how much your frog eats.

Nationality
    [United States]

As Mike said completely normal. Some won't eat for a couple days after having pooped. Sort of like a rest, but still continue to offer food.

MikeIsGreen

Hey everyone!! Thanks for all the replies and putting my mind at ease! I've been without Internet for sometime and wanted to let everyone know how much I appreciate your advice. I've made some changes in lil bruisers tank. I added a background to the back and both sides in hopes that he would feel more comfortable. Was this a good idea? Since then he hasn't come out of his little nook. He has barely just had his eyes and nose out of substrate, where as usually his head and shoulders would be visible and he is actively eating. Here lately I haven't seen him eat but there are crickets missing. I hope I didn't do wrong by adding the background. Anyone else's pacman do this? Thanks!!!

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

I have taped artificial plants on three sides of the tank. FROG moves to a new spot every so often. Some times he is completely buried. Later he will just have his eyes showing. I know when the poop they don't fool around. Wow.

MikeIsGreen

Akfrog, thank you for the reply! Did your frog seem to have to adjust to the new background at all? I'm sure I'm being an over concerned "parent" but outside of this forum I don't know anyone to ask my questions to. I have a book and research online but it's hard to find answers to specific questions. My lil guy has only pooped once in the two months that I've had him. How often to the do the deed? Lol thanks everyone!

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

I am a "newbie" with Horned Frogs. I agree it is sometimes hard to find some answers to specific questions. Some of the books on Horned Frogs are really "dated". The folks here are fantastic about helping someone with any problem they may have about Horned Frogs. I am really surprised as to how well Horned Frogs seem to adjust. I think it takes any pet time to adjust to its new surroundings. I haven't found a back ground to put around the tank so I bought some artificial plants instead. Juneau may be the capital of Alaska but we are only 32,000 people here so resources are limited as far as pet things are concerned.

MikeIsGreen

Thats a great idea! I live in a town of around 5500 so I can't relate! I have to drive out of town or order online. I agree this forums and the members are so great to help out. This is BY FAR the kindest forum I've ever been on. Is it hard for you for you to get food for your pacman? I've only fed him crickets so far, but did try superworms as a treat but he didn't show interest. Ever since I out this background on he has not been actively eating..by that I mean he use to come above ground enough to grab crickets and even let me coax them toward him and he would nail them. But lately he is down in the hole and I haven't seen him eat in a week or so. I see his eyes but that's it..no active feeding ....think he is alright? Should I remove the background or would that set him back further? Thanks! Enjoy that beautiful Alaska scenery too! Love to see it in person one day

Thread Information