Thread: Superworms as a treat

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    MikeIsGreen

Default Superworms as a treat

Hey everybody! I first want to say that I have been researching this question on this forum, but came up with conflicting answers. My question is, my pacman (lil bruiser) feeds on gut loaded crickets and here recently the shops I go to were all out of crickets due to extreme cold shipping conditions. Today I was able to get more crickets and he never went without, but I decided to buy some superworms after talking with the petsmart employee to vary his diet and have a back up food source. Can I even feed him the superworms? She told me to remove the head and feed no more than 3-4 per night with my crickets. That seems like too much from what I gathered on here. So, instead of just doing what she said, I want to get the forums opinion first. Thanks for your time

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Superworms as a treat

Superworms are a treat food only. They cannot be used as a staple or as a replacement for crickets. Buy some Night Crawlers. They are almost always abundant and far more healthy for the frog than the other two.

MikeIsGreen

Grif thank you very much for the quick reply! I was just wanting to vary his diet a little bit. Not looking to replace the crickets at all..just wanted to give him a little treat. How should I go about it as a treat? Once a week or every other week? Thanks guys!

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by MikeIsGreen View Post
    Grif thank you very much for the quick reply! I was just wanting to vary his diet a little bit. Not looking to replace the crickets at all..just wanted to give him a little treat. How should I go about it as a treat? Once a week or every other week? Thanks guys!
    Give the frog one or two every couple of days or so. How big is your frog Snout fo Vent?

MikeIsGreen

Grif...he (I believe it's a male anyway) is 2 1/2 - 3" snout to vent. He doesn't seem interested in the superworms at all. Last night I did he monthly substrate change out and I couldn't find any poop in it, but I didn't think much of it. After I put him back in after the change he pooped and not to be gross but it was the size of my pinky finger easily. Then he ate in a manner I've never seen..he was on the surface and aggressively going after crickets and nailing everyone of them. He ended up eating around 9 and then settled in to his fresh substrate. I couldn't help to wonder was he impacted? Is that size of poop normal for a small frog? Thanks guys!

Namio

Grif...he (I believe it's a male anyway) is 2 1/2 - 3" snout to vent. He doesn't seem interested in the superworms at all. Last night I did he monthly substrate change out and I couldn't find any poop in it, but I didn't think much of it. After I put him back in after the change he pooped and not to be gross but it was the size of my pinky finger easily. Then he ate in a manner I've never seen..he was on the surface and aggressively going after crickets and nailing everyone of them. He ended up eating around 9 and then settled in to his fresh substrate. I couldn't help to wonder was he impacted? Is that size of poop normal for a small frog? Thanks guys!
    The poop size is certainly normal. Most Pacman frogs do a good job regulating themselves in how much they eat. When mine are full they will just ignore food. Offer food to your frog on a regular schedule and pretty soon you will find out how much your frog eats.

Nationality
    [United States]

As Mike said completely normal. Some won't eat for a couple days after having pooped. Sort of like a rest, but still continue to offer food.

Thread Information