Thread: Trip to the vet

spock22a

Default Trip to the vet

So I'm taking my fire belly toad, Pip, to the vet for the first time just to check him up and to ask some questions (and because the vet clinic had coupons for free first visits). I'm planning on getting something along the lines of a bug carrier (assuming that they're in stock), or a tupperware container with holes in it to actually carry him, I just have some other questions about actually getting him there and making sure he stays healthy. It's about 20 degrees Fahrenheit outside. I'll propably turn the heat on in my car, but it will still be fairly chilly. Any tips on keeping him warm? Should put a little bit of water in the bottom to keep the humidity up? Thanks for your help! Live long and prosper!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

N3XU5

Default Re: Trip to the vet

I don't know of anything more you could do to keep him warm. Sounds like you're doing a good job.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Critter keeper with unprinted paper towels made damp with dechlorinated water will be fine. Place whole thing inside a foam or similar ice box to insulate against drafts and temp swings and you are set. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

5. This member thanks Mentat for this post:

N3XU5

Quote Originally Posted by Mentat View Post
    Critter keeper with unprinted paper towels made damp with dechlorinated water will be fine. Place whole thing inside a foam or similar ice box to insulate against drafts and temp swings and you are set. Good luck !
    I need to learn from you, Carlos. You always have something good to post.

7. This member thanks N3XU5 for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Hi Spock,
    If your frog is not ill, I would not take him to a vet.
    If your frog is not ill, I would not expose him to the stress of being moved or to the cold weather.

I commend you on wanting to take good care of him

Frogs don't have to go to the vet prophylactically like cats and dogs.
    Going would not help to defend against ....or prevent any illnesses. On the contrary !

You might consider investing in medications to keep on hand in case of an illness.
    Dr Frye can help you.
    http://www.frogforum.net/tree-frogs/...-prepared.html

It is great to have these on hand ...just in case !!!! It's good preventative medicine.
    I can't tell you how many times I was happy to have mine and not have to wait for a delivery as even a day's delay in treatment can make a difference !
    Then, all you need to do is email him for advice / instruction.

I keep the meds he suggests in the link above.
    He may suggest something different for a FB ? ...ie something for his eyes or skin ?
    It depends on the species.

I don't know what's best to keep on hand for a FB .....But he will
    He is a kind person and always happy to communicate via email.
    I have tremendous respect for him. He has taken the time to answer an email of mine ....on a Sunday !

Best, Lynn
    Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

spock22a

I'll definitely use the paper towels and the cooler idea. Thanks!

I'm not sure about emailing the other vet. It doesn't seem responsible to me for him to just be dishing out drugs without knowing whom they are being given to. Also, it struck me as suspicious that he contacted the moderator in the post, trying to sell them drugs. Honestly, that doesn't seem like the type of thing any of the vets or doctors I have dealt with would do. If someone thinks that their frog has a bacterial infection, and mixes or administers one of those drugs at the wrong amount then your frog could get even sicker. It's the same concept as when doctors tell their patients to finish the entire dose of a medication, because if they don't then some of the bacteria will be left behind, and will be resistant to the medications. It seems very irresponsible for that vet to just offer those medications to whoever contacts him. Now, if he had worked with an individual for a while (ex- had emailed about the frog's health for a while) and had decided that a particular medication was needed then that's one thing, but I don't trust someone that gives medications to whoever asks....

I would much prefer to have a local vet to go to, especially sense once Pip is an actual patient there and has been seen once I can email them with questions. And sense I am untrained when it comes to veterinary medicine, I'll have someone local, in the area in case Pip gets sick who can actually show me how to administer various meds, and how much to use. Also, for this trip the vet will be able to answer several questions I have. He can give me an estimate on how old Pip is, which will help me to figure out how much to feed him (another question I have). I also want to ask him about how to make sure Pip is eating, sense it seems as though he may not have been eating very much.

100+ Post Member Louis Charles Bruckner's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Spock,
    you maybe jumping to conclusions,

Lynn is very respectable, I've never seen her give out bad advice.
    And I agree with her, that the frog is healthy there is really is no need to subject it to stress of extra handling just for a wellness visit.
    These animals are more of A look at me pet than a touch me pet.
    And stress affects them greatly.
    Now granted some of those drugs on that list are pretty expensive and hopefully you'll never have to use them.
    But with these little guys Time is of the essence when they are ill, and having them on hand can mean the difference between surviving and losing A beloved pet.
    Moderators here are very active and they do read a lot of the new posts that's one of the things that I love about this forum.
    Please do not take offense they only mean to help you keep your pet well.

spock22a

I understand that frogs should be handled at a minimum. I have not touched my frog sense putting him into his enclosure. However, I would much rather be in contact with a vet that is five minuets away instead of a few states away. And sense the vet here is five minuets away, it seems to be logical to be in contact with him and so that if Pip gets sick I can go and get meds as they are needed. Then I'm not buying a bunch of meds, only to have them expire a few months later or to not know how to use them if I need to... Also, I can have someone look in person at Pip to make sure I am giving him the correct medication. I am a college student, and have limited funding. If Pip gets sick I would much rather pay the extra money to have a vet look at him and say what is wrong, then only have to buy one medication as opposed to buying six or seven medications that will most likely expire before I can use them. I can understand why you would want the stock of meds if you don't have a frog vet around the corner, but I have one and intend to utilize him.

Thread Information