Thread: Hello everyone: Do you know about Pacman Frogs?

marbar

Default Hello everyone: Do you know about Pacman Frogs?

I received a full grown adult albino Pacman frog early last year from some people. my question is how many months, years, does it take for a baby Pacman to reach full adult size. These people were not very forthcoming with information since the Pacman they gave me was seriously underweight from neglect. He is happy and healthy now on a diet of small mice but I would like to get an idea on how old he could be. Your input would be helpful, Thanks.

JeffX

Default Re: Hello everyone: Do you know about Pacman Frogs?

I'm not sure on the age. I believe it's anywhere from one year to two years. Have you heard it call yet? Or could you post some pictures, and we might be able to tell you the sex.

I'd only feed mice on occasion. They should be more of a treat every six months or so. A much healthier diet would be crickets, superworms, and roaches.

marbar

I have heard it croak once. Is that the "call" you speak of ? I did take the frog to a pet store after receiving it and was told that it was a male.

Actually his normal diet consist of large fish, he does not care for crickets or worms, which was what I tried him on when I took him home. It took mice to fatten him up and fish to maintain. The mice are fed to him once every two months or so.

JeffX

Males call, and almost look like they have a beard.

What kind of fish are you feeding it? It's weird that it won't eat crickets and worms. Most Pacmans will take anything that goes by their face.

marbar

He eats Large comet gold fish.

There could be many reasons why he will only eat fish and mice, one reason could be that the crickets and worms are to small and don't really catch his attention, he is veeeery big. Another is, the people that had him before raised him only on crickets and when I got him they said he was refusing to eat and because of that he lost a lot of weight. I tried him on jumbo night crawlers and he just turns his back on them only eating when I offer fish or mice. Finicky like a cat.

Kurt

A diet of fish and mice is not a healthy diet for any frog. The frogs diet should be made up of various insects and earthworms. Try using roaches and other insects.

JeffX

Goldfish are not nutritious at all. Most of the ones you get at pet stores are exposed to all sorts of infections and parasites.

Have you tried using bigger crickets or bigger worms? Superworms or night crawlers for example? You can try and dangle them in front of his face or even drop them in front of his face.

marbar

I have tried using tongs to dangle worms in front of him but all he does is turn his back to it. Speaking of superworms I was told that they can be dangerous for a frog since they have to be swallowed whole and the worms can chew their way out. Before you laugh, I was told this by a "professional" but I have been told that that was crazy. What do you know?

As for feeding crickets, I have found the largest that I can find even going to my back yard to find bigger but the results are always the same, ignore.

JeffX

I've heard that too, but I've been feeding superworms to Bearded Dragons, Amphibians, and all sorts of other reptiles for years with no issues. Don't leave them in the tank after about fifteen minutes if the frog doesn't eat it. It's the same with crickets they will chew on your frog if they get a chance. So you could always try them.

Kurt

I have been feeding superworms and mealworms to frogs for many years, and I have yet to see one chew its way out.

marbar

Thanks I'll give the Superworms a try.

Kurt

Remember not to use them as a staple diet, just in addition to the staple diet.

Thread Information