Thread: RIP: Fatty- Gray Treefrog

Default RIP: Fatty- Gray Treefrog

I found her floating lifeless upside down and bloated in her water dish this morning. Kind of a sad way to go and pretty unexpected given that she seemed all right up to this point.

She (and Waldo a male Gray) were my first frogs, from back in 2009. Fatty was full grown at the time, meaning she was probably at least 2 years old back then. So she made it to nearly 7 years (possibly more).

Yes, I took an adult female out of the 'wild' but I've no regrets. She was living in one of our greenhouses that prior to 2009 remained heated year round, effectively removing them from the breeding population (the females at least). We decided not to heat the greenhouse that winter and paint the interior. We kept kicking the frogs out in the fall to prepare for this but we found 6 after the snow had fallen and the ground had frozen- I took them in for the winter.

I already had a soft spot for Fatty- she had run into a cactus with fine prickles that summer and I spent a good hour or so with tweezers removing them from her head and hands. In retrospect, I should have had a picture of her cactus mohawk. As a result, she (and Waldo who has an irresistible charm), ended up being kept when it came time to release them the following spring.

She had a health setback in 2011, with a prolapsed cloaca that I managed to reinsert. It took her many months after that to put her weight back on, but eventually seemed to have recovered completely. I'm not really sure what finished her off, I've seen that bloating can be a sign of kidney failure or a bacterial infection (Waldo has been moved to another tank while I sterilize, just in case) but I'm also not sure if the bloating happened after she passed. I knew she'd been approaching the normal lifespan for a Gray, if she hadn't exceeded it already, but I really have no idea what frog old age looks like.

Normally, I bury any pet that passes. I'm thinking I might not be able to get a hole dug given the brutal cold we've been having, so she may be due for a cremation ceremony.

Sigh. She'll be missed. Not just by me, Waldo's main hobby was sitting close to her and loudly propositioning her. Fatty's main hobby was ignoring him.

RIP Fatty, 200?-2014

Name:  Fatty.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  96.2 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

So sorry to hear about Fatty. My heart goes out to you Brian. The frogging family lost another good one this week. So sad.
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: RIP: Fatty- Gray Treefrog

Very sorry for Fatty's death Brian ! That is the prettiest frog eulogy I've ever read; God bless you, Carlos .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

5. This member thanks Mentat for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

So sorry to hear about Fatty passing, but happy that she was well cared for during her time on this earth.
    Rest in peace Rosie 5-31-12
    Rest in peace Rufus 2-7-14
    Rest in peace Morph 8-14-15

Nationality
    [United States]

Sorry to hear that Fatty passed away. Sounds like she was greatly loved.

Nationality
    [United States]
    High Point, North Carolina, United States

My grays and I send our sincere sympathies to you and your family. Thank you for sharing Fatty's story.

Nationality
    [United States]

I also am sorry to hear of your beloved Fatty passing. Also having lost a wild Gray of similar age recently who Also was found in a greenhouse (Hiding in a plant I bought from Lowes)i You may appreciate that Freddy's nickname was "Fatty" or "Fat Freddy" as he was tiny and emaciated when i discovered him in the bottom of my houseplant. He became quite fond of food due to the previous shortages he had endured and became quite proficient in securing his meals over and above any of the other hylas.He was subject to many diets in his day to reduce his size and prolong his days.

I wonder if you might put Fatty to rest in a suitable container and place in the freezer until the time is proper. You may still have a ceremony of remembrance at time of your choosing.

Regards
    Live Feeder Insects That You Need For Your Frogs & Lizards - All Natural Fed & Pre-Loaded With Nutrition
    Starter Colony Kits for Roaches, Crickets, Springtail & Isopods Cultures & More
    We Offer Friendlier Shipping Charges & NOW ALL ORDERS FREE SHIPPiNG over 175.00
    Follow Us on facebook NOW DISCOUNT ON FIRST ORDER AT CHECKOUT www.readyreptilefeeders.com

ariesheiress

Recently lost my WTF. It was very unexpected, I really hoped that she would live forever. Very sorry for your loss.

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Nationality
    [United States]

So sorry to hear of Fatty's passing . She sounds like she had a wonderful life with you . Such a pretty frog. She'll remain in your memories .

I lost my Twigs last week to a prolapse and am still mourning losing him also. He was my first rescue. There's something about rescuing them that makes them extra special, isn't there?

Hugs!!!
    Heath
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Thread Information