Thread: help help help help please!!!! =(

haydenkirk93

Default help help help help please!!!! =(

ok so i was cleaning out my firebelly toad tank, scrubbing water marks that sort of stuff... and i had my 4 firebelly taods in a tote with the tank screen on top of it, i accidently moved the tub when moving around and the screen fell off one side and landed ontop of one of the frogs, the edge fell about 1 1/2 feet and laned strait on his back and squashed him when i picked him up he wasnt moving and u could defintly see his was not in good shape almost instantly he started blowing up like a baloon, i feel soo bad and i just dont know what to do i thought about taking him to a vet but hes so small and im pretty sure they cant do anything for him.. i put him back in the tank and hes just laying where i left him, hes all swollen on his back, hasnt even twitched but he is looking around (with his eyes and blinking, i dont know what to do and if hes even going to live im sure he is in alot of pain... please help =(

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

haydenkirk93

Default Re: help help help help please!!!! =(

im about to upload a picture, ive have reptiles and different kinds of amphibians for a long time and nothing like this has ever happend, im always carful when around my pets... i feel like such a douche bag!

haydenkirk93

heres some pictures maybe this will help....
    Attached Images Attached Images       

haydenkirk93

to add to this i have just picked him up and his legs and args just dangle around... he has no body movment what so ever even when i turned him over to see his underneath he didnt move at all... his eyes are blinking and moving and his mouth moved a little bit... his back seems to be just full of liquid.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hello and welcome to FF! I'm very sorry about your toad . From description it sounds like a broken backbone. A visit to a herp veterinary and a xray can provide more insight into the amount of damage to spine and also to toad's internal organs. Toads and frogs have good healing abilities; but if spinal cord is broken, it's health is probably going to deteriorate and it will die. The fact that all legs are unresponsive points to damage close to head.

Hope it's not necessary; but if his condition deteriorates you might have to consider euthanizing toad. Applying maximum strength Orajel to toads belly will euthanize it without pain. Keep us updated on your decision and good luck .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]

Man that is awful I am so sorry to hear about your injured little buddy. I agree with Carlos it sounds like a spinal/backbone injury to me. I hope he recovers

haydenkirk93

hi guys thanks for the reply, just to follow up, i stayed up last night as long as i could keeping an eye on him and dripping water on him so he could stay hydrated, i woke up this morning and hes gone. i do think i was a spinal /backbone injury, it sucks it was so late at night when it happend all my hep vets were closed, plan was to take him in the morning if he wasn't any better.... thanks for the reply

Nationality
    [United States]

So sorry for your loss

Nationality
    [United States]

Very sorry your pet died !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Thread Information