Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need advice-panacur- KURT, EBONY or other experts please weigh in

bellk

Default Need advice-panacur- KURT, EBONY or other experts please weigh in

So after doing some research, I am fairly sure that my frogs died from parasites. I have read on this site and other frog blogs that panacur is very helpful in ridding parasites from my dumpy froggies that I am getting soon. Can anyone provide me with the brand/ type of panacure that they use...liquid, powder..? How often do I give it to them?

All advice is welcome, thanks so much!

Kam

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Paul Rust

Default Re: Need advice-panacur- KURT, EBONY or other experts please weigh in

Well, I'm not nearly as important as Ebony or Kurt but I'll give it a try.
    The product is Panacur-C for canines and comes in a box of three 4 gram packets. Simply pour a packet into a cup and dust the food with it for three consecutive feedings once a month. Dosage is relative to the size of the food items dart frogs=fruit flies, tree frogs=crickets etc. It is a very safe product and doing it this way will not harm your frogs.

Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by NW Amphibian Rescue View Post
    Well, I'm not nearly as important as Ebony or Kurt
    And don't you forget it!

Seriously, I was not aware fenbendazole was available as a powder or as an OTC drug. I have been working with the liquid form for years now.

Paul Rust

Wow Kurt, I didn't know it was a liquid. LOL
    I get the packets from eBay pet stores. You can buy it by the pound for around $250.00 but I don't need that much. A very little goes a long ways.
    Also, it isn't really a powder. It's almost like a fine grain so sometimes I will use a mortor and pestle to make it into a powder.
    Is the liquid easier? How do you dose it?

Kurt

All the Panacur I have come across has been liquid, including the stuff I have.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Were you able to identify the parasite that killed your frog? Fenbendazole is usually used to treat infections caused by helminths. There are other drugs that are quite effective with other kinds of parasites. An alternative to Fenbendazole might be Levamisole, Praziquantel or even Ivermectin (which is pretty powerful stuff).
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

bellk

Hey guys! I ordered the panacur c on e-bay and I am hoping to get it soon. I know this sounds wierd- but I read this on another frog site. I read that it's a good idea to soak new frogs in an eloctrolyte solution like unflavored pedialite. I saw is on two websites and one of them were recommendations from a vet. Let me know- I consier you guys the authority on everything that "ribbits and croaks." PS- thanks NW amphibian rescue, of course you are as important as Kurt

Thanks y'all

Kam

Paul Rust

Quote Originally Posted by bellk View Post
    Hey guys! I ordered the panacur c on e-bay and I am hoping to get it soon. I know this sounds wierd- but I read this on another frog site. I read that it's a good idea to soak new frogs in an eloctrolyte solution like unflavored pedialite. I saw is on two websites and one of them were recommendations from a vet. Let me know- I consier you guys the authority on everything that "ribbits and croaks." PS- thanks NW amphibian rescue, of course you are as important as Kurt

Thanks y'all

Kam
    Not wierd at all, they can become dehydrated during shipping and this helps them rehydrate. It also calms them if they are stressed. You can also use a small bowl of tepid water with a teaspoon of honey.

bellk

Awesome thanks! I bought two BEAUTIFUL dumpys today. They look gorgeous, like the rest of the frogs in member's albums. I can tell a big difference in their appearance and the previous ones I purchased through the mail (not to put down mail breeders). They are much bigger too- and I think that is also in my favor, since I am a newbie to frogs!

Thanks for all of your help- everyone!

Kam

Nationality
    [New Zealand]

Congrats on your new frogs Kam. I just love Whites tree frogs. Unfortunately I am unable to have them here in NZ. Will we get to see some photo's?

Kurt

You're welcome.

Paul Rust

Your welcome. let's see some photos

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    All the Panacur I have come across has been liquid, including the stuff I have.
    I too was unaware there was a commercial liquid suspension available, given that fenbenzadole is non-soluble. I have always worked with the powder and created suspensions to administer doses.

I am a cheapskate so I always purchased the "horse" sized packet online. I never used the powder for dusting of food insects as the insolubility results in a risk of blocking breathing passages.(Keep in mind I was working with true chameleons!) For small specimens I always "inflated" a properly sized cricket with a liquid suspension of roughly one milligram to 30 milliliters of water.

With my amphibians, I still use the cricket method whenever possible. On large amphibians, I administer the dose orally dependent on body weight using a graduated plastic pipette.

As to the safety of the drug to amphibians, well, last I heard the information was non-existent.

As Panacur is an effective treatment against Hydroids in aquaria, this topic came up well over a year ago on Caudata.org. I have since only used Panacur in cases where I was absolutely sure of a worm infection as a result of a positive fecal analysis. (I do get bored of poking through tiny turds under a stereo microscope!)
    Watching FrogTV because it is better when someone else has to maintain the enclosure!

Paul Rust

Quote Originally Posted by SludgeMunkey View Post
    I do get bored of poking through tiny turds under a stereo microscope!)
    I probably have way too much time on my hands

bellk

Pictures, soon. I promise! I tried to take some last night but I had the flash off so they wouldn't stress and they came out fuzzy (the pics, not the frogs lol). I haven't named them yet so once I post pictures on here- I am going to request input from y'all for names. To me they seem like boys- but I have no scientific basis to that. They just seem like boys!

Ok, so I know I am over thinking- but I just love these guys so much. The pedialyte- one of them is still pretty skittish, so won't he just jump out of the solution? How would y'all deal with that?

Thanks and sorry I am so worrisome lol

Kam

Paul Rust

Pictures, soon. I promise! I tried to take some last night but I had the flash off so they wouldn't stress and they came out fuzzy (the pics, not the frogs lol). I haven't named them yet so once I post pictures on here- I am going to request input from y'all for names. To me they seem like boys- but I have no scientific basis to that. They just seem like boys!

Ok, so I know I am over thinking- but I just love these guys so much. The pedialyte- one of them is still pretty skittish, so won't he just jump out of the solution? How would y'all deal with that?

Thanks and sorry I am so worrisome lol

Kam
    LOL, put enough in the bowl so he can keep his head above the liquid and put another bowl over the top so he can't jump out. He is probably just fine, don't worry so much. As long as they are eating and not freaking out they are probably fine.

bellk

Sorry, sorry- one more thing! Do I water down the pedialyte or just give it to him straight?

Paul Rust

Sorry, sorry- one more thing! Do I water down the pedialyte or just give it to him straight?
    Straight out of the bottle. He is only going to be in it for a few minutes 30 minutes max. Don't be sorry for asking questions That's what we are all here for, to learn

Kurt

Use a properly sized deli cup for medicated baths.

bellk

Talking Re: Need advice-panacur- KURT, EBONY or other experts please weigh in

success! i put them in the brand new clean container with the pedialyte for about 7 minutes. they were okay with it. then i fed them- 5 crickets a piece! they are greedy little suckers! once again, i tried to take pictures but they don't do them justice. i'll try to take them in the day time so y'all can see how awesome they are.

y'all are great!

Kam

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information