Thread: peckock fern & pacman frog

michael1846

Smile peckock fern & pacman frog

I'm getting a Pac man frog and I know they like moist soil I have a peckock fern in a tube from the pet store will it be ok with my Pac man I know all about the Pac man ripping up roots but with careful placing I think it will be ok I'm just wondering if it's poisons (also wandering Jew I have that coming out of my ears)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: peckock fern & pacman frog

Hello and welcome to FF Michael ! Not sure if plants are toxic; but even those that are, only become a problem if frog accidentally ingests a piece when hunting. Pacmans are kept in slightly damp shredded coco (clumps in fist but does not drip water) and that has no plant nutrients, so will have to fertilize plants with mild aquarium plant fertilizer or keep them in pots with ABG type soil.

Pacmans will uproot or crush plants. Know of some members that keep though Pothos with their frogs; but the feeding issue and plant ingestion remains, unless you feed the frog outside container, or hang Photos out of frog reach. Here is some excellent information on the frogs: Frog Forum - Pacman and Horned Frogs - Ceratophrys - Care and Breeding.
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

michael1846

Ok thank you I am planning to feed in a separate container. (I'm starting when he/she is young) I got one o the "aqutic" plants from petsmart. I know that half the plants are non aqutic and this is one of them I was just wondering if it's poisonous. You can never be to safe with pets.(also the hide I got for the frog is tilted so you can see the frog without having to bend down to look in a hollow log) ~Michael

MillerFroggies

I have a one that i bought from petsmart and put it in with my dart frogs. its been in there for 8 mons and the frogs have never had a problem with it. only problem is it has become some what of a nuisance due to the fact that it grows like a weed and grows roots that strangle other plants i have pruned it back to almost nothing to keep it at bay several times and it just comes back with a vengeance.

Tongue Flicker

Bracken ferns are the only fern i know that has a health warning against pet animals. Most ferns have toxic fiddlehead fronds though (unopened new leaf) but only if chewed and ingested. Plain and direct ingestion doesn't seem to affect animals that don't chew food (like turtles and fish. Yes, i personally tried feeding it lol). Great majority of ferns have tough root systems as well (wooden roots, even) so worrying about your frog destroying the roots should not be a concern.

And oh and about wandering jews, they're safe but they have brittle stems so place them where your frog won't encounter it directly or else you'll get chopped plants lol

Thread Information