Thread: Tadpoles metamorphosis to toadlet - New to frogs

skepkat

Default Tadpoles metamorphosis to toadlet - New to frogs

I had been thinking about getting a few frogs for a while. So when I was shopping for a new heater after that first arctic freeze and I overheard that there were tadpoles in the Fire Belly Toad enclosure, I jumped at the chance. I have an empty 10 gallon and they told me 3 would be a good number. So $1.00 later, I walked out with 3 tadpoles. I like planted / natural looking tanks. Unfortunately, the big tank is not ready and they have started the final leg of the transformation. I'm doing a temporary / grow out tank using one of my 3 gallon critter keepers. One is mostly fully formed, but still has a bit of tail (about 1.5 cm). One of them had all four legs and a full tail. The last one only has hind legs. I put the oldest into the new tank. You can sort of see the little toad peeking out from under the feeding dish. This was his first walk about. The other two are still in the small tank. I included a picture of it too. Everything I've read says this is the critical time for their survival so I'm a bit stressed. I want to give them the best chance and would appreciate advice from some experienced keepers. I picked up some fruit flies earlier tonight & I am trying to breed some crickets (set them up on Monday - but I think that means they won't hatch for at least another two weeks ?? ).

Attachment 65073Attachment 65074Attachment 65075

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Tadpoles metamorphosis to toadlet - New to frogs

Hello and welcome to FF! Could not open your pic attachments. Toadlets are susceptible to dehydration, so many recommend keeping them for a couple weeks in unprinted damp (use dechlorinated tap water) paper towels in a hospital like enclosure.

Toadlets will not feed until their tail is absorbed into their bodies. You can start them on wingless fruit flies and pinhead crickets. As they grow you can increase food size to match the distance between the toadlets eyes. In a few weeks, you can move them into their enclosure; but do observe that they can get their food in the larger space. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

skepkat

I had some issues posting. Sorry about that. I took a few pictures of the little one. Let's see if I can get it right this time.

Name:  toadlet 1.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  311.3 KBName:  toadlet 2.jpg
Views: 399
Size:  289.3 KB

I'm going to have to rethink how to feed them. The fruit flies scattered. I'm thinking about using one of my old betta cups. Seems that might be a good size. I'm just worried about stressing the little one by catching it every night to feed it.

MantisMan

cute toadlets. keep them on wet paper towels for now. the metamorphs don't take long to start eating. feed the young ones twice a day with drosophila hydei fruitflies dusted with calcium dust and every few days use vitamin dust (not at the same time as the calcium). DO NOT put in a water bowl, young ones don't swim well (in 2 months or so they can swim better) but they absolutely must have wet paper toweling that is constantly being cleaned. in a few weeks they should be big enough to eat tiny crickets or roaches and by about 4 months they can be trained to eat thawed bloodworms or shrimp (brine or Mysis) from toothpicks or small tweezers. they really are cute and fun, I have 23 of them lol. also, they will gradually turn green starting within about 5 weeks, maybe sooner, or some may stay brown but color change should occur. as for getting their bellies red, I don't have any suggestions for u. I tried something called repashy superpig with mine but it didn't stick to food well and the toadlets hated the taste of it

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by MantisMan View Post
    ... I have 23 of them lol. also, they will gradually turn green starting within about 5 weeks, maybe sooner, or some may stay brown but color change should occur. as for getting their bellies red, I don't have any suggestions for u. I tried something called repashy superpig with mine but it didn't stick to food well and the toadlets hated the taste of it
    To get FBT's deep orange/red belly color; you need to feed a high carotene diet during the tadpole stage .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

skepkat

I set up a medium kritter keeper with paper towels, covered sides & the lid from a GladWare container. It can provide some soaking water and is shallow enough that there is no chance of drowning. I have some containers that I set up with the Prime for my fish tanks. I usually let the water sit for at least a day before using it, though sometimes I need the water earlier. Thing is, the toadlet doesn't seem interested in the fruitflies. It climbed the walls and is hanging out at the top of the enclosure. The kritter keeper has a secure lid, but I'm also using some tull as a lining to ensure the fruit flies don't escape.

Is it just too early for it to hunt? It still had a tiny tail (maybe 2 mm) last night. The other two still have tails, so they are still in the aquatic tank with lots of plants and places to hold onto at the surface.

skepkat

Just an update.... all 3 made the transformation. I haven't seen them eat, but I see poop and they are all active. Here are 2 pictures (I think) I managed to snap earlier today just after refreshing their little home with new paper towels & fresh water.

Name:  toad a.jpg
Views: 471
Size:  45.9 KB

Name:  toad 6 - Copy.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  55.0 KB

skepkat

Another update. All 3 toadlets are doing well. We had some issues finding food for them for a while (I ran out and the stores supply wasn't hatching quick enough for their appetite. But we weathered that and they are just about big enough to switch over to small crickets. I'm planning to finish off the supply of fruit flies before fully switching them to crickets.

Here's a picture of one of the little ones.

Name:  toad 001.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  86.9 KB

Thread Information