Thread: Temperature?

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Temperature?

What temp range do dart frogs like and what would people recommend for heat a 46gal repurposed aquarium tank: 3ft wide at back.

Actual product recommendations would be welcome as I'm a little lost in this area. I've been reading about people putting heat mats on the back of the tank. How? (Duct tape) and what size mat ?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

SqUaReJeLLy

Default Re: Temperature?

I have no idea about temps, I think that may depend on what type of dart frog you will be keeping but I do have a little knowledge about heat mats. I use them for hermit crabs but they heat the same no matter the animal they are being used to keep warm. There are different types of heat mats. The ones found in pet stores are self adhesive and you just peel the paper off the back and stick it where you want it to go. There are other types that have no stickiness at all and have to be taped on. Any tape works. They tend to be better just because they are easy to remove and relocate. The most popular and really the only one I hear about like that are made by a company called bean farm. They have their own website and also sell them on amazon. These ones also come in many different sizes to accommodate many different tank sizes.

Now as far as how good they are at heating. Don't bother with the small ones in my opinion. They put out such little heat they aren't worth it. I also think most people tend to use heat bulbs either normal looking bulbs or ceramic heat emitters. The ceramic heat emitters put out no light at all just heat. The thing with bulbs though they can dry tanks out but they do a much better job at heating the tank.

So it will really depend on what temp you need to be at and what temp your house is normally at to determine what would work best for your tank. I hope I was at least a little helpful.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Temperature?

Most dart frogs are good at "room temperature". That is, high 60s to mid 70s. Some can go warmer, although most don't need or appreciate it. Some can go cooler as well. I don't use heat mats on any of my tanks. If you were going to the recommendation is to place them on the back of the tank. This is because heating mats shouldn't be below water (if that makes sense). In this case just use the sticky ones that will adhere to the back. However, I don't think they're really necessary. If heating is an issue, you can put lights on the tank. That should heat it up fairly well during the day. Then just let the tank cool naturally over night.

~Alex
    Ranitomeya reticulata
    Epipedobates anthonyi "Zarayunga"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cayo Nancy"
    Ranitomeya benedicta
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii
    Ameerega pepperi
    "Abiseo"
    Epipedobates trivittatus "Baja Huallaga"
    Cruziohyla calcarifer
    Hylomantis lemur
    Dendrobates leucomelas

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Temperature?

I have quite a few frog tanks, so I use a ceramic space heater with a thermostat for the room.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Thread Information