Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My First PDF Build Log

buggerdtp

Default Re: My First PDF Build Log

The GEII Silicone Black that I have says 100% silicone on it. In the description on the back it mentions that it won't mold because it is 100% waterproof. Is this the right stuff? It doesn't say anything about added chemicals, but it does say it is for doors/windows/attics. Now you've got me worried!

This is a link to the stuff I have: GE Silicone II 9.8-oz. Window and Door Black-GE5030 12C at The Home Depot

Edit: I see a lot of people have a lot of differing views about this product. From what I gather, it looks like people have reported poor root growth once the roots touch the silicone for GEII, but I can't find any evidence that frogs are affected. And this from people using it to COVER their background. I'll just be using it to attach my background to the glass. It should be completely covered with no access for frogs or plants or (theoretically) water, so I can't imagine it being a problem.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

buggerdtp

Because I have intentions to cover all the silicone so frogs will not come in direct contact with it, and because it is only used to apply my background foam, I went ahead with the GEII Black 100% silicone. There is still much debate over the safeness of it, but people do use it to cover their entire background with no ill effects (yet). I feel pretty confident the frogs and plants will be okay.

So I smeared the silicone onto the glass and applied my background. If I had to do this over again, I WOULD NOT be using this purple foam stuff. There are just way too many steps, too much room for error, ect. I made sure there was about a half inch on each side of the background that I would use GS to fill in. Unfortunately, the GS I used previously was no longer functional and I only got about half of it done. Yet another lesson, if you know you are going to need to use GS on multiple parts of the project, try to do it all at once.

And still, I think it turned out okay. I bought some more GS today, but couldn't find any net pots for the background, so I will be ordering them online. When they arrive, I can finish filling in the edges of the background with GS and apply the pots to the background. Then I'll attempt to clean up the rest of the extra silicone on the glass, then lay the TBIII/coco fiber layer.

I'll just be waiting on my net pots to come in.

Sorry for the awkward angle of this photo. The reflection from my windows was too much if I did it any other way. The background looks a little messy now, but I'm hoping once the TBIII/coco fiber is put down and the extra silicone cleaned off it will look a little better?

Name:  background-applied.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  248.9 KB

the silicone you used is safe. but your thought on it is a bit skewed. when it comes to being animal (in this case frog) safe, it has zero to do with whether or not the animal comes in contact with it, but whether or not it will leech chemicals into the tank that are potentially toxic to the animal. most people think "it's just holding my background on" but guess what? water vapor WILL get behind the background. water will get everywhere. and if water, even in vapor form, comes in contact with such a material, will cause chemicals to leech out, poisoning the tank. fortunately, in this instance, you chose the correct silicone.

looks good so far. i am though kind of intrigued as to how you are going to add planters to that background and still make it look seamless.
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

buggerdtp

Ok, well I'm glad I chose the right silicone then. And I don't quite understand what you mean by "make it look seamless". I was just planning on using GS to attach the planters to the background in a few different spots. Actually just picked up 4 2" pots from the hydroponics store around the corner. I had forgot about them. Can't wait to make some more progress!

making it look seemless, um....like it belongs. natural looking. a 2" pot is going to root bind any plant you put in there extremely quickly. i rarely use anything smaller than a 3" or 4" pot. plants need room to grow, especially the roots. just a friendly hint on those.
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

buggerdtp

My hope for the 2" pots was that it would restrict the growth of some plants so they don't get too big. I've only got a 20 gallon tank and don't want plants, especially those on the background to get too large. 3-4" pots might start taking up a lot of space on the background, too. I'm going to give these a shot. I'm going to secure them along the edge of the "ledge", so maybe that will make it look natural.

okey dokey
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

buggerdtp

On second thought, maybe I'll just put some epiphytic plants and moss along the ledge and forgo planters. That might look nicer. Also, thanks for the advice. I have a hard time visioning what this will look like in the end. I learn better by doing haha.

buggerdtp

Progress has been very slow. Grad school and a lack of $$ doesn't help, but I've mostly been working on covering the background with TBIII and coco fiber. It took a while for things to dry, then I covered thin/missed parts again. I also extended one of the ledges to be bigger. Tonight, I got around to adding black aquarium gravel to the edges of the FB to hide it. It turned out pretty well, I think. Next, I'll be ordering some ABG soil, sphagnum moss, and leaf litter from Josh's frogs. I'll also get a cork bark log to add to the terrarium as well. This way, I can plant the cork bark log and the background with epiphytes.

Not the greatest of iPhone pictures, but this gives you an idea of where I am.

Dave
    Name:  substrate-start.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  335.2 KB

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Looking good Dave!

The lack of funds does suck, but it also helps to ensure you go slow and take your time which is what these builds are all about

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information