Thread: tadpoles and sandy bottom terrariums

reptilia5

Default tadpoles and sandy bottom terrariums

What is the opinion of my fellow herpers on tadpoles and sandy bottom terrariums? I'm getting a jump on setting up for spring tads and am in the process of revamping my old 15 gal. semi-aquatic terrarium. The sand I'm using is river sand,boiled for 30 min then baked at 450 degrees for one hour. I am allowing the tank to "age" for 4-5 months before introducing the tads (2 max). I will be using a goldfish to jump start the natural bio-filter and an air-pump and air-stone will provide oxygen. Depending on the species of tads I plan to keep any species that are not bull or green frogs. Any suggestions or caveats about raising tads in a sandy bottom environment? Thanks in advance for any feed-back.

1 Dumeril's boa
    1 Lithobates palustris
    "home-schooling rocks"!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: tadpoles and sandy bottom terrariums

Fine river sand should be OK if a substrate is desired. Do not need to boil; rinsing in tap water followed by drying in sun and baking for 1 hour at 250F (let cool in oven overnight) will sterilize it.

A tank will cycle in a month even without inoculating it with bacteria; a 4 month wait is unneeded. Cycling with a goldfish is the worse you could due due to their usual parasite load. You can get a bottle of Seachem's Stability or similar product and cycle tank in a couple weeks with the tadpoles in it as long as you do not overfeed or overcrowd the tank. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

4. This member thanks Mentat for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

You can do a fishless cycle to get the filter going.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ng-148283.html

If you do a Google search you'll find alot of other info on the process, this is just one of the first ones that popped up.

Sent from my LG-P930 using Tapatalk 2
    2.0 Bombina orientalis
    1.0 Bufo americanus
    0.1.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    0.1 Xenopus laevis

All my arachnids and other inverts listed in my profile

6. This member thanks MatthewM1 for this post:

reptilia5

Thanks for the link. The fishless cycle will be the way I will go.

reptilia5

Thanks for the advice. Advice like that is exactly why I posted this thread.The area where I get the tads is a grab-bag of different species,but they will not be available until the end of May. This gives me more than enough time to get the tank up and running,establish a strong bio-filter,tweek the land side,give the plants and micro-fauna time to get established, etc. I like to plan and establish even small tanks in advance if possible. I am just a stickler for detail. It took me over three months to finally get my Dumeril's boa because I spent time in reading and researching Madagascar boas,choosing the right tank,shopping around for the best prices for different types of heating,etc.

Default tadpoles and sandy bottom terrariums

Keep in mind that the bio filter only builds up to whatever the current load is and can easily be overloaded, leaving you with a brown, hairy "algae". It's not really algae at all, but diatoms. Add livestock to it slowly and give it time to handle the load you add to it.
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

10. This member thanks deranged chipmunk for this post:

reptilia5

Thanks for that advice. I will only have two tads. The water area is 7 1/2 gallons and 6 in deep.It also is planted with 5 live plants for both cleaning and aesthetic purposes. I am also keeping in mind the amount of food being fed that may not be consumed. With an established natural bio-filter,an air pump, and only two tads how often should I do a partial water change? Also how much water should I change? 20%? 25%? 50%? Thanks to everyone who has posted advice and who will take the time to advise me on this project. My son and I are enjoying learning more about this and looking forward to our spring tads and a possible new frog "pet".

Fire Salamander

What if the tadpole food falls onto the sand, and then the tadpoles try to eat their food but end up eating sand too.

13. This member thanks Fire Salamander for this post:

reptilia5

I'm sure the sand would be passed out of the body. I doubt they could consume enough sand to the point that it would be detrimental to their health. You do, however, bring up a viable concern and one that I did not think of.

Thread Information