Thread: Thoughts on terrarium size?

Treefolk

Default Thoughts on terrarium size?

Hello,

I will be making a rack system for my future Pacmans. I have multiple reasons for doing so: conservation of space, my cats cannot knock enclosures to the ground or get into enclosures, cost, plastic is much harder to break then glass and uniform heat regulation.

I already own some 54qt sterilite tubs that are 24L x 16W x 12H (inches). I like to give my animals more room but have also heard that too much room is bad for Pacmans and I will only be able to stack 4, maybe 5, racks high. Do you feel these are the right dimensions or would you recommend a different size? Please bear in mind these will initially be for juveniles but will need to be big enough for grown adults.

Also, coir substrate creates height restrictions, which is probably why I see racks on paper towels most of the time. Do you agree with paper towels or would you go with taller tubs for coir? I personally am leaning on the coir side because it allows them to express their natural burrowing behavior.

Thank you for any suggestions.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Thoughts on terrarium size?

A 10G aquarium is considered appropriate for an adult Pacman (3.5 in. or larger). Your tubs are much larger than the 10G dimensions (20Lx10Wx12H in.). For a juvenile I would consider something like the ExoTerra Breeding Box in either medium or maybe large for a bigger juvenile.

If you go with shredded coco substrate, will have to consider that when selecting enclosure height. When it comes to enclosures, it all bolts down to your needs. A hobbyist might want to have frogs in nice displays for observation while a breeder will look for efficient enclosures in regards to space and maintenance needs. Sound like you are looking for something in the middle of both options. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Thread Information