Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pacman Frog Not Eating

MM70531

Default Pacman Frog Not Eating

I am also having the issue of my new pacman not eating. He is a week old and looks good but I had to force feed him two crickets. Any suggestions. I'm new to this and just want frog to be happy. He is buried down and can't see him. I guess this makes him feel safe. How can I get him to eat. Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Hypnotic

Default Re: My pacman frog hasent ate in 2 weeks

Miguel, howlong did your frog not eat? He can't be a week old if your feeding him crickets, pacmans at that stage still have tails and live in water, or did you mean you've owned him for one week?
    Pacmans can go a while without food, don't force feed emediately. Give the frog some time to adjust, if you've owned him for a week, and allready force fed him, chances are your frog is under ALOT of stress.

MM70531

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 777
Size:  129.9 KBSorry yes I bought him a week ago from pet smart. I have been reading a lot about pac man frogs and everyone says they need to eat daily or every other day. So i was worried. I bought him the Exo terra 18x18x12 terrarium so that when he grows I don't have to buy him another tank. I made the inclosure so it looks natural. This way he feels more secure. Today I re did his terrarium because the substrate I had him in was very wet and they say to be moist but not super wet. After I put him in he burrowed down where I could not even see him. A few hrs later all you can see was his eyes. Input a few crickets in and nothing happened. I walked away for a second and boom he was out. I think he got a cricket but I was not sure. I will just keep an eye out on him this week to see what he does. Any suggestion on what I should do. Thank you for responding. In the photo he is on the left side of the green water bowl. You can see his eyes popping out. Also water bowls are clean now. It got messy with me doing the final touches in the tank

Hypnotic

Your pacman frog still looks really small. The enclosure might be way to big for him and be scaring him. The enclosure should grow along with the pacman.
    This is actually her second enclosure, the measurements are : 11Lx6.7Wx11H. As soon as she outgrows her waterdish, I move her over to the next size. Since she is nearing adulthood, her next upgrade will be her last. She is 2.7" right now.
    And yes, forgive my dirty waterdish, she always bathes right after I change the water (daily )
    Name:  1525600_643815992321095_1141008228_n.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  87.0 KB

Bedore

What I did was buy a critter keeper and kept my baby/juvenile frog in the keeper. I put eco-earth and a water dish in there with him. I then placed it inside the big terrarium for the climate (temps/humidity). Once he was big enough I released him into the regular terrarium with no problems.

MM70531

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  85.6 KB Could not figure out how to turn the photo sorry. This is my pacman frog he is about 2.5 inches wide.

Hypnotic

It looks big, but if he came out when you released crickets, I think he might have gotten one or two. Always count howmany feeders you put in.
    Do you own a pair of tongs? If not, go buy them and gently wiggle the prey infront of his nose. Don't force feed, he needs time to adjust to his new enclosure and force feeding is alot of stress on a little frog.
    Also remember that pacman frogs are nocturnal, so feed an hour after the lights go out.

MM70531

I put five in his tank and he jumped at one but missed. At least he jumped, that made my day that at least he is trying. I do have tweezers and will try to feed him now since the lights just went out. Will let you know how he did

MM70531

No luck. I took all the crickets out this morning and I will drop four in tonight and see what happens. I will remove the back legs this time so they are easier to catch and this was i can keep track of them.

MM70531

Here is a update. I had five crickets I the tank last night and this morning I only find two that committed suicide in the water bowl. This must be a good sign. I still have yet to see him eat but it must be happening since three are gone. Also he has yet to use the water dish by him self. I keep the humidity at 80%. ????

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

They only use the water dish when they feel a little dry. They won't use it if the soil is moist and the humidity is correct.

MM70531

Oh ok, Thanks. For some reason I thought they would use it for bathroom needs. I guess the coconut fiber is doing well and humidity is good because he seems to be a very happy frog now. Still getting use to the home but at least he is out of his burrow now at night and crickets are missing, how often do you change out the dirt???

Happy owner now lol

Nationality
    [United States]

Some do seem to like using the bathroom in their water, but that's probably more of an individual quirk than anything.

Substrate changes should happen about once a month, and spot cleaning between if you find any poo.
    3.0 Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis
    1.1 Thamnophis cyrtopsis ocellatus
    0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    1.0 Litoria caerulea
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Python regius
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis

MM70531

Ok here's a weird one. What does the poop look like. I look everyday but nothing yet.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by MM70531 View Post
    Ok here's a weird one. What does the poop look like. I look everyday but nothing yet.

I can usually smell when mine has pooped, even if she's buried it. The substrate goes from smelling like nothing to completely rank overnight. Sometimes they bury their poo, so if your frog suddenly moved from its normal spot, you can dig where he was sitting before and sometimes find it.

It looks kind of like a giant brown sausage the two thirds the length of the frog's body. Pretty obvious; you'll know it when you see it.
    3.0 Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis
    1.1 Thamnophis cyrtopsis ocellatus
    0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    1.0 Litoria caerulea
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Python regius
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis

Hypnotic

And don't worry about crickets commiting suicide. They aren't the sharpest knife in the drawer, I've seen them commit suicide in 1 cm of water. >_>'

MM70531

This morning Mr. Packman frog was in his water dish. The water was gone. Not sure if he splashed it off or what so I filled it up with him in it and he was there while I took a shower and got ready for work. Then he moved to the other side of the tank under the fake log I have and was there when I left. Since he was not in his normal place I took out the coconut soil he was in and replaced it, just in case he pooped there. He is getting more active every day. Also the two crickets I put in last night, gone, I would love to see him eat them so I know he is eating but they are gone and I know they can’t escape, I remove the back legs off the crickets and I think this helps him. Happy camper here.

Hypnotic

Don't worry about the missing water, it could have been splashed out or even absorbed by the frog. Theres only one way to see them eat, tong feed or wait when you throw the crickets in and watch. I often peek in during the night, sometimes I catch them moving around and even taking baths and pooping.

MM70531

Lol I sat there one night for like two hrs to see if he would eat. The crickets were all over the place even in front of him, and nothing. I thought about putting up my go pro and record him all night to see what happens.

MM70531

Ok I have an update. Today I was sitting on my bed looking at him and saw a cricket walk by and boom he ate it. That made my day. Also tonight I finally saw this big lump on top of the dirt and guess what he or she pooped finally. Another thing that made my day. I have hooked up a zoomed hydrotherm with a ceramic heat 82 durning the day and 78 at night. I have the repti fogger at 75% humidity. I also have a 13 watt exoterra day light bulb on from 7am to 7pm on a timer. And everything has been working great. I guess he is a happy frog now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information