Thread: Isn't interested in food?

greenbluewolf

Post Isn't interested in food?

I'm sorry to bother everyone again, but I have a fire belly that doesn't seem to be interested in her food. I've tried mealworms and wax worms but he ignores them. I don't have anywhere to get crickets. So, I bought another fire belly, thinking he was lonely or something. The new fire belly is instantly interested in her food and I cant find out why my older one wouldn't notice them. The other frog isn't bullying the other and the one that isn't interested does end up eating a little. If someone could please tell me what the difference is between the two I would be very thankful. Also, I have another question. I have a bowl of water that is pressed down in the dirt in their tank. It is small so I have to change it a lot. I was thinking that since the are old-blooded, they would like warm water. Is this okay?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Flying Dutchman

Default Re: Isn't interested in food?

They don't need warm water. What they do need is enough water to swim in. Make sure they can rest on some rock or plants to prevent drowning. My setup can be seen in my picture gallery. The bottom of my setup is all water, and I have made a couple of hiding spots (they like to hide from time to time) and also enough room to walk about and eat. I also have a waterfall in my setup to keep the water moving. I also change 1/3 of the water every week. Maybe your toad is holding it's winter rest. They don't move and eat as much as they do normally. What's the size and setup of your tank?

greenbluewolf

I think it's 10 gallon. I just recently changed the set up. I'll try to get a picture in a moment.

greenbluewolf

I have a couple of pictures, but I don't know which on is best. The frog are under my fish but I try to give them some 'sunlight' from my desk lamp. I know I'm not suppose to use gravel, but I didn't want the coconut fiber to get into the water.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Flying Dutchman

You can use gravel, it's also on the bottom of my tank. They only thing I would do is provide some more hiding places with some (plastic) plants or water plants.
    Do they ever get (indirect) sunlight?

greenbluewolf

Yes, but only for an hour. I found out about a store that sold crickets and I got some. I put them in the tank and my fire belly got them, but then she just let it drop out of her mouth.

Flying Dutchman

Quote Originally Posted by greenbluewolf View Post
    Yes, but only for an hour. I found out about a store that sold crickets and I got some. I put them in the tank and my fire belly got them, but then she just let it drop out of her mouth.
    Make sure the crickets aren't to big for them. If they are to big they can't put it in their mouth and therefore they will spitt them out. Buy them with a length that equals the space between threir eyes. My fire bellies also love to eat fruit flies and curly winged flies.

greenbluewolf

Okay thanks

Thread Information