Thread: Mossy care

cricketfrog30

Question Mossy care

hi im thinking of putting a pair of mossy frogs in 150 gallon and the care for them would be appreciated

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Paul Rust

Default Re: Mossy care

Quote Originally Posted by cricketfrog30 View Post
    hi im thinking of putting a pair of mossy frogs in 150 gallon and the care for them would be appreciated
    I sent a message to someone who can help you.

Socrates

Haha thanks Paul. First off for a pair of Mossy frogs I would highly recomend against using such a large aquarium. These guys max out around 2.5-3" tops (6.35cm-7.62cm). They may have a difficult time finding food and inevitably become "lost" in the enclosure. I recommend and from my personal experience a 20gallon is suitable for 2-3 adult Mossies. The enclosure needs to consist of mostly water on the bottom at around 3-4 inches deep. I suggest using gentle filtration as it keeps the water clean and makes maintenance much easier. Just be sure that there is NOT a strong current. A spray bar or placing the filter next to the site to diffuse the current is acceptable to prevent a strong current. You'll need a temperature range of 70-75 degrees in the morning hours to a drop around 60-65 degrees in the evening. These guys are fairly hardy and in their native habitat experience temperatures down to even the 40s and as high as the the upper 80s. I do not recommend keeping them at these temperature for extended periods of time. Humidity is easily achieved with having the large water area and it should exist around 65-75%. In the enclosure it's good to have small islands here and there. I recommend using rocky outcrops and/or islands covered with moss, which closley resembles the flooded rocky cliffs/caves they inhabit in Vietnam. Likewise, a few plants placed in pots and then in the water can also add a nice touch that you and your animals will enjoy. Diet can consist of hornworms, crickets, silkworms, roaches, and moths. The males of this species have a noticeable nuptial pad and the females are 20% larger. The males give out an eerie call and have the ability to "throw their voice" similar to a ventriloquist, where the sound sounds like it's coming from somewhere else entirely. They evolved this technique as an anti-predatory mechanism to confuse predators on their location. Another interesting behavior you will notice is that they rapidly twitch there toes before lunging at prey and will curl up into a ball and "play dead" when grabbed.

Hope this helps and good luck! (Also check out my photo album for an enclosure idea)

Kurt

How about writing a detailed care article on the species?

Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    How about writing a detailed care article on the species?
    It is currently under construction

cricketfrog30

thanks i just found a place that sells there tadpoles

Socrates

Good to hear and np! Is it Sandfire Dragon Ranch by chance?

cricketfrog30

yea its sandfire dragon ranch

Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by Socrates View Post
    It is currently under construction
    Awesome! You too can join the ranks of the sexy, attractive authors of the Frog Forum.

Socrates

wohoo I'm excited haha.

Kurt

You should be, we all should be.

Thread Information