Thread: Barking Tree Frog lighting Help!

Saark

Default Barking Tree Frog lighting Help!

Hi everyone,

New guy here. First, I am more of a tarantula kinda guy but I love most critters. I recently adopted 3 baby barking tree frogs, at least that's what I'm told they are. Two are bright lime green and the third, slightly larger one is a darker green with darker spots. A friend brought a plant home after visiting family in FL only to find these little guys living in the plant some 10 days later. They are lucky to have survived because I'm in NY and it has been brutally cold here! Anyway, I am setting up an Exo Terra 12x12x18 for them and I am having a really hard time determining whether or not they need any UVB and if so, how much? There seems to be very little info out there on the subject. I've attached a couple pics so you can see what I have. They are very cute little froggies and I want to do right by them since they have been taken (albeit unintentionally) from their natural home.
    Edit: They are quite small, thumbnail sized so I am assuming they are quite young.

Thanks so much in advance for any info you can give on these little guys,
    Saark

Name:  DSC_3260.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  90.5 KBName:  DSC_3268.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  111.4 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Saark

Default Re: Barking Tree Frog lighting Help!

Nothing? Are these frogs just not common in the pet trade? I'm finding only very little information on them in my searches.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I can't help identify them, but doing a soft UVB bulb won't hurt them if they don't need it. Outside of that they are tree frogs and will appreciate a terrarium with a lot of vertical climbing options. I would keep the temp in the mid to low 70s during the day and let the temp fall to the lower 70s at night. Set the light up on a 12 hour timer and keep the humidity around 60 - 70% until you can identify what species they are. Being from florida though will help you gauge what type of climate they meed in their home.

They will most likely do fine on Crickets as a food source. Make sure the crickets are smaller than the space between there eyes.

Outside of that ask any questions you come up with and we will do our best to help. You can browse the tree frog section of the forum to get ideas on how other people care for their tree frogs and apply those same principles to your 3 new friends.

5. This member thanks DigitalPunk for this post:

Saark

I have a 26w full spectrum bulb that will be on a 12hr timer and I also got a 26w 5.0 UVB bulb (The Exo Terra bulb) that is supposed to be for rain forest type critters that naturally receive less UVB due to tree cover etc (at least that's what it says on the box. Gotta take that with a grain of salt though, I assume). I thought that I would put the UVB bulb on a timer as well but only run it from say 11am to 1 or 2pm, when the sun would naturally be at its strongest. I am putting them in a 12x12x18 Exo Terra terrarium with the climby back wall and hanging plastic plants covering the side walls and a big water dish for soaking/drinking. I'd love to do a naturally planted tank and may upgrade to that in the future. I have a planted 50gal tank that I keep my big 9+in T. stirmi (Burgundy Goliath Birdeater) in that I'm quite fond of

Thanks for the tips/info.

Thread Information