Thread: I year old Fire-Belly sick

ENorritonFrogLover

Default I year old Fire-Belly sick

Hi All. My girlfriend and I have this Fire-Belly guy named Nemo and he has been fine up until last week. Then we noticed he was on his back, underwater and motionless. I thought for sure he was a goner. Now it's been more than a week later and he's still alive.

I even saw him stuck to the side of the filter inlet and again I thought he was dead. But I took him out in my hand and he started moving Here are my observations:
    - Spends a lot (not always) on his back
    - Haven't seen him eating (Freeze dried crickets and bloodworms)
    - His eyes are clear and his color is good
    - May be a little bloated (Hard to tell)
    - There are 4 African Dwarf frogs and 2 Siamese sucker fish. (They seem fine) Note: There used to be three suckers but one of them vanished about 1 month ago.

Yesterday, I removed him from the tank and put him in a container with some water and a rock for him to sit on. My thinking was to try and relieve some stress he might be feeling from the 10 ga. aquarium. last night I saw him sitting on the rock. This morning he was standing on the bottom with his front feet on the side and his head above water He looked fine, just not moving much.
    My girlfriend heard from a man at a pet store that he had a sick toad and decided to euthanize it. So, of course, she's already been calling the local SPCA to inquire about it. I don't think he's ready to go just yet but I also don't know how much he might be suffering. We really love this little guy..

We change half the water each week, there is a filter and air pump hooked up. The ph looks good. We use tap water which we let stand for at least 48 hours before using. Water is un-heated but it is hovering around 70 F depending on ambient temperature.
    I included 2 pictures, (Sorry about the poor quality) one of the tank and one of the Nemo.
    Any ideas? My guess would be he ate a large freeze dried cricket or the sucker and he is blocked but I'm far from an expert.
    You're help is greatly appreciated.

Name:  0103140817.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  58.5 KBName:  0103140819.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  29.4 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

MantisMan

Default Re: I year old Fire-Belly sick

that aquarium doesn't appear to have enough land area for him. I would use a sponge filter because he is less likely to be caught in one, if one at all. you clean the water very frequently so I don't see a need to use a filter. I never use a filter and I don't clean water as often, and everything is fine. he can quickly drown if trapped in a regular filter. additionally, species mixing isn't a good idea. if the toad swallows a fish, the fins/bones of the fish could clog him and kill him, and the secretions produced by the other frogs may hurt him. he may also not like freeze dried foods. try pieces of earthworm (still moving if possible) or live crickets/roaches. he doesn't look too thin so he should be fine. these guys can go weeks without food. another thing that can be a problem is that harsh light over the whole tank. I would use a smaller bulb and be sure the water temp is between 62 and 66 degrees for the firebelly

Thread Information