Thread: Frank- the pixie frog

mmahek95

Talking Frank- the pixie frog

Name:  frank.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  79.3 KBThis is my new frog, Frank the pixie frog! He loves to pose for pictures and he adores his rock. Right now, his current enclosure is a 75 gallon tank with coconut substrate, and a pool of water. I'm going to divide it into a 2/3 water enclosure and 1/3 coconut substrate, both eight inches deep..(He loves to burrow!)
    I got him/her yesterday, at a local pet store (Pet Paradise). I've been speaking with the people there, and they say they only carry the true pyxicephalus adspersus, and not the dwarfs, but we shall see. They also only seem to carry females (I specifically requested a male), but I'll know more on the gender in about a month or two...still too young to determine. Name:  frank1.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  103.5 KBName:  frank2.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  111.2 KB

My father has his own pixie frog, P2, and he recently put chia seeds in his frog's cage, and it looks awesome! The frog seems to be enjoying it-has anyone else tried it? I highly recommend the ReptiFogger as well-amazing product, just be sure to use distilled water (88 cents a gallon at walmart), otherwise it won't work as well. Getting the Fluval 406 external filter in 100 gallons in the next few weeks-so excited about that!

Also, has anyone had trouble with Dubai cockroaches? I know a friend who fed one to his pixie frog, and the poor frog died! (I think the frog took a large one and it got stuck-so the frog tried to throw it up....and threw up his entire stomach as well )

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Kelsieb

Default Re: Frank- the pixie frog

Your frog is Cute! As for the dubias that sounds like your friend fed one that was to large for the frog or if it was caught in the wild maybe was carrying pesticides. I have 3 Giant African Pixies, 2 males 1 female, and all love their dubias!

mmahek95

Name:  fluval.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  53.1 KBCheck out this new gadget I got! Like I said, I do only have a 75 gallon tank, but I want a greater return as pixie frogs produce a lot of waste, and now I have two females!! I'm really excited about this!

mmahek95

Name:  frog.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  83.1 KBName:  froggy.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  52.5 KB

First of all, your frog is lovely . And I really like where you're headed with the tank set up. This may be my misunderstanding, but in case it's not- do you plan to add more substrate to the land side? I see you mentioned 8 inches deep, so I suspect you just haven't finished yet. I'm new to pixies, but everything I've read says they're not strong swimmers. So please be extra careful that your frogs can easily get out of the water. Right now it looks like it would be impossible for a big fat frog to get out of there. Some kind of ramp would probably help a lot. Keep up the good work. Your frogs will be spoiled, I can tell.

mmahek95

Yes, I was in the process of everything getting set up properly- I was just so excited I had to share! The substrate is filled all the way up to the glass partition, and I bought a "ramp" (turtle rock or something like that) that goes into the tank so the frogs can get in and out of the water easily (there are also large rocks on the bottom that stack up to the glass partition).
    Last edited by mmahek95; April 15th, 2014 at 02:14 PM.

mmahek95

Name:  frog.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  131.1 KBName:  froggy.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  102.8 KBOne of the larger rocks that provide easy access in and out of the water. Will post more pictures!

Thread Information