Thread: New Baby Pacman - Throwing up?

Zehla

Default New Baby Pacman - Throwing up?

I was under the impression that pacmans cannot regurgitate, hence why they can choke to death on too-big prey.

I just added a tiny thing to my growing frog family, she's (I think it's a girl, on a pure hunch though) no bigger than an inch I'd say. I fed her a piece of a worm a few days ago, and she took it right down and all no problems. I'd say the piece was no bigger than her mouth.

Today I'm admiring how cute and tiny she is and I notice a lump of something in her cage. Upon closer inspection I found that it wasn't poop, but a rather misshapen and half digested worm chunk. I'm a little worried, my first frog never threw up and I can't find ANYTHING on the internet about it, hence why I'm posting here.

I was planning on getting her some tiny crickets tomorrow until she's big enough to eat whole worms (I hate chopping them up haha), but now I'm afraid to feed her in case she has something wrong with her. I really don't think there's a vet in the area that specializes in reptiles either . Could this be serious? Or is she just stressed out? She's only been with me for a few days and she wasn't happy one bit about me moving her cage around and changing her substrate (actually she bit me a few times, lol). I don't want her to die D:

EDIT:

Just thought of some things that may help.

The conditions the pet store was keeping their pacmans in were just terrible. I feel really bad for the other two babies I passed up, but I just can't afford that many frogs at once haha. Their cages were bone dry and they were using the dreaded spungum(sp?) moss that I hear impacts their intestines if they swallow too much. I'm hoping she doesn't have such a problem.

I don't notice any distention in her belly, and she's actually REALLY active for a pacman, hopping all over and such. Not constantly, but often. Well, I hope that helps. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Zehla; May 16th, 2010 at 02:12 AM. Reason: Remembered some things

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Kurt

Default Re: New Baby Pacman - Throwing up?

I would give it a few more days before I would go into a panic. Vomiting can be caused by stress, improper tempertures, and parasites. It may also be caused by impaction, but thats just a guess on my part, so don't quote me on it.

If you could please post your country and location in your profile, it would help the rest of us locate a vet for you.

Zehla

Ah sorry, haha, was in a hurry to post and skipped all that stuff.

Yeah, my friend did some very intense research since I could find nothing on the subject and discovered that most species of frogs regurgitate food to remove poisons from their system - so I won't be feeding those worms to either of my pacmans now. I just hope poor Jabba doesn't puke either.

She was definitely very stressed and upset the day I got her, especially in the car ride. When I was clearing out the moss to put down the coco fiber, she kept attacking my fingers, which at the time I thought was pretty cute though I do know that means they are extremely upset at that point (or just naturally feisty).

She's burrowed herself comfortably in the corner of her cage and has ceased wandering around, so I'm taking that as a good sign .

Kurt

OK just monitor her over the next few days and if there really is a problem someone here may be able to reccomend a vet in your area.

Zehla

Thanks a lot! I'll keep in touch. Planning on getting her some little crickets today, see if she takes one.

Kurt

Good luck.

PaulyMolitor

is it fat? it could be self conscious about its weight and maybe doing it on purpose. my sister went through the same stage. usually it will out grow this and eventually become fat like she did...

Paul Rust

Quote Originally Posted by PaulyMolitor View Post
    is it fat? it could be self conscious about its weight and maybe doing it on purpose. my sister went through the same stage. usually it will out grow this and eventually become fat like she did...
    Do you think you are being funny? I already had to delete one of your posts. If you make another smart *** comment to one of our members looking for help you are gone!

Zehla

Hey guys! Sorry I haven't gotten back sooner, busy with work and such.

I'm happy to report that my new little pacman is doing GREAT. She's pooped twice and is starting to shed now - which means she is eating AND growing. I'm so happy!

Paul Rust

Quote Originally Posted by Zehla View Post
    Hey guys! Sorry I haven't gotten back sooner, busy with work and such.

I'm happy to report that my new little pacman is doing GREAT. She's pooped twice and is starting to shed now - which means she is eating AND growing. I'm so happy!
    That is great news, thank you for the update

Thread Information