Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Heating (up) a small exo terra for my new pacman

foofighter

Default Re: Heating (up) a small exo terra for my new pacman

I am in the UK as well and use exoterra tanks I ve got a few pacs all different species. find that with the 30x30x30 I need a mat that covers the entire side of the tank then I ovehat with some foil insulation from b&q that. you also have to cover 3/4 of the meshing on the top with something I use polycarbonate twin wall also from b&q. this kees the temps where they need to be. hope that helps.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by Manwell View Post
    the PM is male and the Queen Mum is dead, so nope, neither of those. Yes I did indeed come here for "help" and no I don't have 30 frogs so my bad! Thanks Bedore for the light/heat clarification that IS really helpful, I appreciate the fact you understood my concern about the light issue. Manwell is happy in his "temporary" set up (which granted isn't perfect but it is meeting his basic needs) while I endeavour to sort out his exo terra which will be his permanent home, but I'm not going to leave him in it with insufficient heat just because someone says so, moderator or not, you are not god and you don't own MY animals.

Honestly I'm not "ignoring" good advice FAR from it, I've never read so much in my blooming life lol I'm just getting frustrated because things aren't working or going to "plan" so excuse my frustration I didn't mean to take it out on anyone I am enormously concerned for the welfare of my little man (and all the animals in my care).

Which is why I'm sticking with this and not just having a strop and walking away, he's too important to me.
    You're right I'm not God, but the majority of information on Pacman Frogs you will find through this section of the forum comes from me and other experienced keepers. I'm not telling you to do anything with your frog. I'm suggesting. You can do as you please.

Now I'm done with this argument which it was not intended to be so I will not comment further if it becomes more elevated or continues.

Now about lights for Albinos. The only bulbs that emit light that are safe for them are infrared night time bulbs and Moonlight blue night time bulbs. You can use infrared bulbs 24/7 and not interupt their day and night cycle because they are unable to see infrared waves like we cannot. Infrared bulbs produce very good heat output and can assist greatly with raising the temp. They also will dry out the ambient air humidity, but any heat source will do that as the temp within the enclosure rises.

During cold months it is difficult to maintain a steady climate. Sometimes you sacrifice humidity to maintain proper heat, but as long as you create humidity spikes throughout the day by misting they will be fine. Having a UTH under the substrate will dry the lower layer of soil and can dehydrate your frog if he burrows over the UTH so burning isn't the only concern. They absorb moisture through their skin especially through the thin patch on the lower abdomen so check the lower substrate often for drying. If the frog begins to dehydrate it may not understand why and not move from above the heat pad. Exo Terra tanks are very well designed and can help greatly in maintaining climate, but humidity is always an issue so if you are able to aquire a climate control unit like Zoo Med's Hygrotherm you can attach a fogger to it and the unit will fog the tank when humidity drops below ideal levels. It can even be used for your heat source in combination with the fogger.

Artificial rain systems are not ideal for Pacman Frogs because they can make the substrate over saturated and the water within the muddy soil will go stagnant and caise bacterial and fungal growth so that is always something to watch out for. The soil should be moist or heavily damp, but not muddy. You are off to a good start and there is a lot more you need to learn. You are in the right place if you wish to successfully care for your ffog.

4. This member thanks GrifTheGreat for this post:

Manwell

Quote Originally Posted by foofighter View Post
    I am in the UK as well and use exoterra tanks I ve got a few pacs all different species. find that with the 30x30x30 I need a mat that covers the entire side of the tank then I ovehat with some foil insulation from b&q that. you also have to cover 3/4 of the meshing on the top with something I use polycarbonate twin wall also from b&q. this kees the temps where they need to be. hope that helps.
    how do you actually keep your heat mat stuck to the side? Mine keeps coming off, it's an inch or so too big (but the other one's too small!!) I've tried celotape and masking tape both of them peel off during the night I'm guessing as it peels off?

Manwell

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    The only bulbs that emit light that are safe for them are infrared night time bulbs and Moonlight blue night time bulbs. You can use infrared bulbs 24/7 and not interupt their day and night cycle because they are unable to see infrared waves like we cannot. Infrared bulbs produce very good heat output and can assist greatly with raising the temp. They also will dry out the ambient air humidity, but any heat source will do that as the temp within the enclosure rises.

During cold months it is difficult to maintain a steady climate. Sometimes you sacrifice humidity to maintain proper heat, but as long as you create humidity spikes throughout the day by misting they will be fine. Having a UTH under the substrate will dry the lower layer of soil and can dehydrate your frog if he burrows over the UTH so burning isn't the only concern. They absorb moisture through their skin especially through the thin patch on the lower abdomen so check the lower substrate often for drying. If the frog begins to dehydrate it may not understand why and not move from above the heat pad. Exo Terra tanks are very well designed and can help greatly in maintaining climate, but humidity is always an issue so if you are able to aquire a climate control unit like Zoo Med's Hygrotherm you can attach a fogger to it and the unit will fog the tank when humidity drops below ideal levels. It can even be used for your heat source in combination with the fogger.

Artificial rain systems are not ideal for Pacman Frogs because they can make the substrate over saturated and the water within the muddy soil will go stagnant and caise bacterial and fungal growth so that is always something to watch out for. The soil should be moist or heavily damp, but not muddy. You are off to a good start and there is a lot more you need to learn. You are in the right place if you wish to successfully care for your ffog.
    BRILLIANT thank you - I'm on a "bulb" mission tomorrow, much appreciated

Manwell

foofighter

The heat may I be got is about 10 mm smaller it's a Komodo 14 w I think you get about 5 mm a ll the way round. The best tape I ve found is electrical insulation tape. If the mats to big I wouldn't know how to stick it I guess it would keep coming off. I found when mine were that small they didn't like that size tank much. I used the nano cube for them. Got two at the moment with them in temps all fine. It's experimenting really ceramic/infra red heaters are what I want to use really with heat mats for back up.

Nationality
    [United States]

Yes. Those work really well. You have to program it for the setting you want.

Nationality
    [United States]

Oh and about reattaching the heat pads. You have to use electrical tape. Regular tape is not heat resistant. Try not to bend them either. They have really delicate wiring and can be damaged easily by bending. They can cause a fire or quit working.

how do you actually keep your heat mat stuck to the side? Mine keeps coming off, it's an inch or so too big (but the other one's too small!!) I've tried celotape and masking tape both of them peel off during the night I'm guessing as it peels off?
    Duck tape for the win. I have removed my heat pad many many times. I always used duck tape to reattach it to an enclosure.

Manwell

Default Heating (up) a small exo terra for my new pacman

Off to get duck tape and heat lamps.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manwell

Right I think we're sorted; while Manwell was in his temporary accommodation I fixed the bigger heat mat to the back if my eco terra (with duck tape) then I fitted a 40w red bulb inside the tank the same side as the heat mat.

Only problem was the heat mat was plugged into the thermostat and the light was on constant, when the tank reached temperature it shut the heat mat off but with the light on temps were still rising. So I plugged the light into the thermostat and now it pops on and off when optimal temps are reached, the heat mat is on constant.

So day time temps are maintaining at 28/30 and humidity is 80/85, at night I will just leave the light off?

Will post some pictures in a minute see what you think?

Manwell

there it is then - the light is happily going on and off (it comes on when the temperature drops to 27.8 then takes the tank back up to 30.1) and Manwell has explored his tank and found his "happy spot" at the back near the light but not directly under it. I'm not 100% satisfied with the tank (I would like a mister to maintain humidity) BUT it's a far cry from where we started.

Nationality
    [United States]

there it is then - the light is happily going on and off (it comes on when the temperature drops to 27.8 then takes the tank back up to 30.1) and Manwell has explored his tank and found his "happy spot" at the back near the light but not directly under it. I'm not 100% satisfied with the tank (I would like a mister to maintain humidity) BUT it's a far cry from where we started.
    Foggers seem to work best, buts misters can be used if hooked up to an environmental control unit or timer. I would try and find a way to place the light outside the tank so there is no way the frog can burn itself by jumping into the hot bulb. You can direct it so that it shines down through the wire mesh lid and still gain adequate heat from it.

Manwell

Just finding out how expensive misters and foggers are! Yes I thought the bulk sat low in the tank might be a problem I just couldn't figure anything else out but I've just ordered the exo canopy with a 40w night (blue) bulb

Nationality
    [United States]

Just finding out how expensive misters and foggers are! Yes I thought the bulk sat low in the tank might be a problem I just couldn't figure anything else out but I've just ordered the exo canopy with a 40w night (blue) bulb
    You can alternate between bulbs for day and night. Red for day and moonlight for night.

Manwell

That would be lovely but I can't find the (slim) canopy lights in red they only seem to do white and blue?

DesertHeat

You don't have to use only the slim bulbs. I have the regular shaped 25w red bulbs in the exo terra hood and they work fine.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Manwell

Default Heating (up) a small exo terra for my new pacman

Oh wicked I didn't know that well I already have a regular sized red bulb so I'll be able to use that, thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information