Thread: In tank baby toad is a rock, but outside toad is a rocket?

andrewtoady

Default In tank baby toad is a rock, but outside toad is a rocket?

My baby toad while inside the tank doesnt do much at all. Almost hunker downs! You would think she is dead or dieing! But when you bring her outside and put her on the couch she hops and crawls a lot. Someone told me that the best thing to do is leave her alone untill she becomes older!?! She was the other day after being in water for days was very bloated. To the point that her rear legs barely touched the ground. But now ok. She is the size of a large marble or smaller. She seems to always want to hide, but she used to always have a appitite but rght now doesnt. I put her in a pie tin on top of a heating pad today on top of stove with stove light on. A short time later she was missing. She went from a toad that looked near death to a toad the hopped out of pie tin, jumped/crawled on stove, onto counter top, under microwave and hid there. Then once we apearred she ran from under microwave and hopped onto the stove. Like a running alien. But in the tank a rock.Name:  PART_1386380013541.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  41.0 KBName:  PART_1384403587018.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  33.8 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: In tank baby toad is a rock, but outside toad is a rocket?

I don't even know how to respond to this?!?! It's winter, toads hunker down and can stay burrowed all winter long. Leave em' in the tank with several inch of eco earth to burrow in. Change water dish daily just in case he needs to soak, keep eco earth slightly damp but not wet enough to squeeze water out of, and make sure there is dusted food available each night in case he comes up while you are sleeping. I've had toads go down for 7 months at a time. This is the nature of the beast, let the toad be a toad.
    Rest in peace Rosie 5-31-12
    Rest in peace Rufus 2-7-14
    Rest in peace Morph 8-14-15

Nationality
    [United States]

He gets more active out of his tank because he wants to find someplace to hide. Also, letting amphibian run around your house is not safe for them. They absorb things through their skin and when they are hopping around out of the tank they are coming in contact with all kinds of bacteria and quite possibly chemicals that we bring in on our shoes, clothes, etc.

Sent from my LG-P930 using Tapatalk 2
    2.0 Bombina orientalis
    1.0 Bufo americanus
    0.1.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    0.1 Xenopus laevis

All my arachnids and other inverts listed in my profile

andrewtoady

Last night could barely move his rear legs or do much. Looked at his tank this morning and he was dead. 100% dead. Not hibernating either

Nationality
    [Denmark]

I suggest you read up on this, before/if you ever aqquire another toad. Frog Forum - Toad Basics - Keeping ground-dwelling Toads. A care sheet for Bufo, Anaxyrus, Spea, Scaphiopus, Ollotis, Alytes, Pelobates

Reading this may answer what went wrong or if you've been handling him wrong and prevent it from happening again...

Nationality
    [United States]

Sorry for your toad's death Andrew . There is a high possibility it's death was related to chemical exposure while jumping around your kitchen and other surfaces outside of it's enclosure or from the Gatorade bath. Frogs and toads are hands off pets and should be handled as little as possible and never placed in surfaces normally cleaned with house chemicals.
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Thread Information