Thread: Sluggish young toad

andrewtoady

Default Sluggish young toad

Hi, I have a very young toad. Its an american toad and found outside this summer around august. I believe its a female. Was doing really good but real sluggish now, but when out of tank he will jump and crawl a lot. Isnt eating much. Only body changes it now has small orange spots on its back. Usually it does eat fast but not right now. I dont have the $ for a large tank so she is in a small plastic one and my apartment is very warm right now. I know he needs a heat lamp but cant get one right now. I found her in a concrete imbackiment and knew the next day where she was would have been in the direct sun light and 90 degreee temps. So I had no choice but to rescue her that night. She was the size of a marble at that time and now bigger, but still very small. I have given her some gatorade to electrolites. What is wrong or what can I do? I do have her tank at times on top of a heating pad but on low.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Sluggish young toad

Hello and welcome to FF! Well; have no idea where you got the "gatorade" information or what it will do to a toad. First thing is to stop that gatorade treatment for toad. Second is to read this care article and apply the information to provide for your toad's needs: http://www.frogforum.net/content/toa...pelobates-125/.

Main important things are that all water (bath and for mixing in substrate) are dechlorinated tap. Normal room temperature and humidity for a toad should be OK. Crickets should be gut loaded with carrots, lettuce and oats or cherios. Insects size should be the same as distance between toads eyes. Please post a pic of your toad showing the orange spots; it might be a normal coloration. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

andrewtoady

Name:  PART_1384403587018.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  33.8 KB

andrewtoady

Name:  PART_1386380013541.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  41.0 KB

andrewtoady

Quote Originally Posted by Mentat View Post
    Hello and welcome to FF! Well; have no idea where you got the "gatorade" information or what it will do to a toad. First thing is to stop that gatorade treatment for toad. Second is to read this care article and apply the information to provide for your toad's needs: Frog Forum - Toad Basics - Keeping ground-dwelling Toads. A care sheet for Bufo, Anaxyrus, Spea, Scaphiopus, Ollotis, Alytes, Pelobates.

Main important things are that all water (bath and for mixing in substrate) are dechlorinated tap. Normal room temperature and humidity for a toad should be OK. Crickets should be gut loaded with carrots, lettuce and oats or cherios. Insects size should be the same as distance between toads eyes. Please post a pic of your toad showing the orange spots; it might be a normal coloration. Good luck !
    A guyy I know with lots of frogs said she may be scared!?! outside of the tank hops around and crawls to the point of being very fast, as if she is happy, but inside the tank she doesnt move at all. She is the size of almost a large marble now.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Agreed with what Carlos has said, it's winter, some toads hunker down and can stay burrowed all winter long. Leave em' in the tank with several inch of eco earth to burrow in and they don't need a heat lamp. Change water dish daily just in case she needs to soak, keep eco earth slightly damp but not wet enough to squeeze water out of, and make sure there is dusted food available each night in case she comes up while you are sleeping. I've had toads go down for 7 months at a time. This is the nature of the beast, let the toad be a toad.

Also the reason she is moving around more outside the tank is to get away, a sitting toad is a content toad.
    Rest in peace Rosie 5-31-12
    Rest in peace Rufus 2-7-14
    Rest in peace Morph 8-14-15

Thread Information