Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Basic Frog First Aid

bwhiteowl7

Unhappy Re: Basic Frog First Aid

Hi I am new to this Forum -

How do I treat my WTF with Panacure C powder if She will not eat the crickets -- ???

She is 3 inches long and is 2 years old - her skin looks good - she had some skin shed pieces on her last night around her legs

She has only eaten 1 cricket in 7 days - She hangs out in the back of the cage on the moss- before she started acting like this she used to be up in the vines all the time when sleeping.

When we try to brush her nose with a cricket she squeaks at us and turns her head.

She has a mate - he still eats - but it seems not as much either. Before Christmas the female would eat 5-7 crickets every 2 days.

She was soaking with her butt in the water hole this morning for awhile i noticed.

Cage temps are 66 degrees in the night according to the heating pad under the Vivarium
    They are 68 in the day under. The room temp in day is 69 - 71 and 68 at night in the room -- Winter here now.

substrate is coco husks with moss over - and water runs under with a pump thru clay balls and the water hole is lined with creek rocks.

Can i give her Panacur and Flagyl at the same time and Baytril? Or do they need to be alternated and how do I do this ?

Drops to the skin with a dropper - and How many for a 3 inch frog- or do I put drops in a bath ?

Should I bath her in Pedialyte if she is not eating at all -- how much ? do i mix with water too or pure pedialyte? How often ?

Thanking YOu in advance --- Mom of WTF beauties

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Paul Rust

Default Re: Basic Frog First Aid

You need to find out what is wrong. A fecal exam will tell you if it has parasites. The only reason I suggest Panacur so readily is because it is safe and effective and wont hurt to try it if the animal is exhibiting symptoms that indicate intestinal worms. Do not use this "shotgun" approach with other medications without a diagnosis. If it won't eat and is getting worse, get it to a vet.

bwhiteowl7

Thank You Paul for Your answer on my WTF

I will call my vet tomorrow but i have called them before about my other frogs and they were clueless - I am in a rural area and they deal with cattle and farm animals and dogs/cats, not many exotics here.

I can call a vet 5 hours from here and hope they talk to me.

Can they take a fecal from a frog ? Because she hasnt eaten in like 6 days now :=(

How can panacur be given if she wont eat?

How do they check for bacteria if she hasnt pooped either?

I have Panacur C powder packets at the house that were used last year for another frog that i had a red eye, the breeder told me what to do with the powder for the crickets but that particular frog was eating .

Can Panacur powder be made into a bath like BAyatril ? If so how , what water ratio to powder for a bath - and do I need to put the mixture on her back too ?

My frogs have only eaten crickets or super worms for the past 1 1/2 years and they have never been wormed EVER -- can they get parasites from the crickets I buy from the cricket farm or could they have had the parasites for the past 1 1/2 years from the breeder?

Should Captive frogs be wormed ever so often ? LIke every 6 months as a preventative?

Thank You so much for your help in advance

Paul Rust

(PANACUR) 25mg/kg of bodyweight. Dissolve in distilled water and drop on frogs’ back once a day for at least 10 days.

Ask the vet about how he wants the fecal sample prepared.

Parasites are always present in the animal, if the animal gets sick they can gain an advantage and overwhwelm the host. I treat all of my frogs once a month for three days with Panacur. I also do my own fecal exams to monitor their health.

bwhiteowl7

Thank You so Much Paul

I found a vet that works with lizards and snakes about 1 1/2 hours from me - its my only option unless I drive over 5 hours away- I am going to go there today and wait as a walk in.

She is such a precious frog to my little 10 year old son - he has taken care of her diligently now for 1 1/2 years and for a little kid to wash his hands that much before and after says a lot - he was in tears last night looking at her after trying to coax her to have a small cricket and she just stared at it - while her mate saw the cricket crawling in the cage and lunged after it right away.

I appreciatte your replys and I will keep the info you so kindly listed for ref.

I pray this vet knows how to test her and treat her.

Paul Rust

You are welcome. I hope this ends well. please keep us posted on the progress.

bwhiteowl7

Hi Paul

I made it to the vet and I took both frogs so the vet could see the difference in their appearances.

Poor little girl frog only weighed 41 grams now - she used to be the same size as her mate.

He weighed in at 63 grams.

I put heat hand warmers under a little travel cage and a bowl of water and rubber tree leaves on damp paper towels. While on the way there the male pooped in the water - he ate 3 crickets last night and his poop was normal.

She just stayed on the leaf -- The Vet Dr. who saw us told me he is not an expert vet on frogs and hasnt seen too many.

He would take a fecal or attempt on her since i told him she hasnt eaten in 10 days now =((

He didnt want to test her skin either -- she is sloughing a lot of skin now under her body and around her legs - it was way noticiable today for the 1st time and he said she has a bacterial infection from his visual -- although her top skin looks good - no blotches or sloughing there. He mention aner - something bacteria. He said her legs were a little red also - more than normal. I am thinking the stress of not having her usual rutine for the 12 days we were gone is the contributer and I pray if this is what it is that we have caught it in time .

He gave me Baytril to apply .02 cc between her shoulders everyday for 14 days.

Will Baytril kill this bacteria ? Is there anything else I can bath her in that will not cause the Baytrill to hurt her worse? If so for how long?

I applied the BAytril as soon as I got her in her new cage and into her water bowl.

He gave me panacur oral liquid to give 2 doses at begin and end of 14 days
    but he doesnt think its parasites.

He wouldnt treat her cage mate at the same time.

I put her in another cage tonight that has Hawaian Moss in it and a bowl of water.

I soaked her in Pedialyte for 10 minutes - it was plain and diluted in pure water though- I was not sure if it would burn her underside if it was pure Pedialyte?

The Vet also - gave me a can of food they use for intensive care feeding for dogs- it smelled like liverwurst -- He said i should make a gravy with a little piece of it and feed it to Her with a syringe of 4. cc --- 1 time per day - to keep her strenght up. I added a touch of boiling water to make gravy and then let it cool before putting in a syringe.

I had to use a cleaned credit card to pry her mouth open and my 10 year old helped by putting the syringe of food into her mouth and administered the food -- i gently rubbed her throat and little head and she finally blinked her eyes in that funny wiggle - like she does at eating crickets - so we know she swallowed it.

I then held her cupped in my hands like a little cave with her head slightly elevated for about 10 minutes and my son and I sent her good thoughts and love.

It has been 3 hours since we force fed her and the food is still in her - no poops or sign of it returning.

I did not give her the Panacur tonight - As a Mom and seeing what giving too many medications at one time can do to a child -- I was terrified that giving this sweet little frog Both on the same day would destroy her worse.

So I will wait and give that panacur to her tomorrow night when we feed her liver soup again.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________

One of the Vet Techs there gave me the name of another Dr Vet in that town that might
    know frogs better -- I called and left a message for him to call me tomorrow

If She can be tested by skin or blood to see exactly what bacteria - to make sure this is the correct Antibiotic - then I will be going back again and drive the 1 1/2 hours there--

I just want to save her and see her healthy , hungry , happy and hoppy again.

She is such a precious gift from Nature and She is so loved and wanted in our family.

Any more suggestions or ideas Paul, will be much appreciated Thank YOU.

We are Praying for a positive turnaround.

Thanking You again for your kindness and concern Paul

Becca

Paul Rust

WOW!!! I think you have it covered for now. I am impressed and happy to see an animal owner taking this kind of responsibity for the animals under their care. I really have no other suggestions at this time. Great job!

bwhiteowl7

We really do treat all our animals like they are truly our family and We truly do love them that way , and when they are kept under a human's care they are so dependent on us. I can see with reptiles amphibians how challenging it is to even notice they are sick until they stop eating -

there are so many conflicting schools of knowdedge everywhere. I know I spent at least 16 hours searching on the internet for 4 days for help and reading.

I wish an amphibian vet would write a book that is definitive for the different captive breeds, I am sure many would buy it.

Thank You again Paul so much for being here and responding and suggesting

I will update in a few days.

Blessings, Becca

cavinggirl1734

For the metronidazole liquid what concentration does it come in??? I only ask cause I am a vet tech but we only ever use tablets and I have lloked at several pharamcies and they do not have the suspension either. Could you just crush up a 250 mg tablet and use it to dust food and put in spray bottle to mist habitat??
    For the Baytril can you use Baytril Otic?
    Thanks in advance. Nicole

sleepypossum

Default White lipped tree frog with Brown spots!

Hi there.
    It has been a few months now that Alfonso has been with us. He was a frog I rescued from the Supermarket..He is eating fine and growing but has developed dark spots(almost leopard spots) and tends to be a brown tree frog rather than a green one ( Alfonso is a white lipped tree frog). He has had this "condition" for a month now. I have found out it could be a fungal infection but at a loss to know how to treat it. He is alert at night and does go a lovely green but still has the dark spots. Not sure it is just camouflage.
    Can you help at all.
    Many thanks

CaptainMorgantown

Hi,

What exactly is SULFANILAMIDE POWDER? I went looking for it today in CVS and Walgreens and they have heard of it, but didn't carry it.

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

This comments section has been closed because people keep asking health questions rather than commenting on the article. If you have a health question, please post it in the subtopic of the forum that deals with your kind of frog.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread Information