Default Re: Basic Frog First Aid

Quote Originally Posted by Ebony View Post
    Paul... You forgot the smiley face
    I wasn't smiling

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

doganie

I'm back. There is only one tadpole left, but it is doing very well. It has all it's legs and arms and jumps around every now and then. It's so cute When will it start needing something to eat other than fish food? Thanks so much.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by doganie View Post
    When will it start needing something to eat other than fish food? Thanks so much.
    When the tail is fully formed. That should be any day now.

You're welcome very much.

Paul Rust

Ha!, that's awesome, little guy looks great.

doganie

Thanks

Ok, I bought some food, wardley reptile sticks; it says "This is a nutritionally balanced, floating stick ideal for all aquatic reptiles (e.g. turtles, frogs, newts)..." It says frogs so I thought it might be okay.
    I didn't open it yet so it can still be returned. Do you think this is okay for the tadpole?
    I know that live food is better, but I don't think my parents really want little creepy crawly things that could possibly get loose in the house.

Paul Rust

I feed all my tads Tetra tropical fish flakes.

doganie

What about when they become frogs?

Right now I'm giving it TetraFin Goldfish Flakes and it seems to be doing fine.

Paul Rust

He is going to need a way to get out of the water soon. He is going to be eating small crickets or fruit flies very soon.

doganie

Do they have to be live crickets? What about the dead ones?

Paul Rust

I have never fed dead food to my frogs. I know that young frogs have a voracious appetite and you are running out of time...lol
    Live crickets aren't that big of a deal to contain and if they do escape they don't live very long.

doganie

Maybe I'll try both then. Thanks.
    Also, I have no idea how to house it, right now I just took some fish pebbles and put them in a mound for something to climb on, but it doesn't touch it, it seems to like the sides of the container though. I read how to make a vivarium, but is it too young for that?
    Thanks again.

Paul Rust

Congratulations! That is a Pacific chorus frog. Looks great too. here, look this over. He is ready to come out of the water. You can look in my albums under Pseudacris.regilla and see my setup if you want. He needs to be eating fruit flies right now.
    http://www.frogforum.net/care-articl...orus-frog.html

doganie

I bought some coconut fiber for the vivarium, after I soak it do I use it while it is still damp or do I dry it out first?

doganie

So the coco fiber is slightly damp but not too much. My parents wouldn't let me buy a fish tank because we have one, but it's in storage right now. The tadpole/froglet seems to be doing fine in the tupperware container though. In the "food-dish" there are some crushed up amphibian pellets and a dead cricket from a can. My mom wouldn't let me buy live crickets because the packages of live crickets were packed a week ago and most of them were dead anyways. The plant is fake, but it works as something for the tadpole to climb on. Please tell me if anything major is missing, thanks.

The tape makes it look so bad ... lol, well atleast it works

Nationality
    [New Zealand]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hi there doganie , You have done a good job with your temporary home. Maybe drape the plant half in the water dish so your frog can get out easily. Your frog still has a part tail so it will be wanting to eat in a day or two. Im not certain that your frog will eat dead food. You will need a back up just in case. Fruit fly is great for young frogs. You will need a very fine netting over your enclosure so they dont escape.You may want to let the person know who you ordered your crickets from that most were dead. They may send you a replacement or look into another supplier. Just a thought, maybe you could put a branch in there for your frog to climb on. Make sure it's sterile first. Well done doganie

doganie

Thanks
    Yeah, I noticed that it had a hard time getting out of the water so I put some aquarium pebbles sloping down the side of it.
    I'll see if I can get some fruit flies since even the live crickets seemed really large for such a small frog.

Nationality
    [New Zealand]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Crickets range in all sizes when growing, so when you order ask for pin head crickets or slightly bigger. Give them the size you want in millimeters if you are not sure. They must be able to fit in your frogs mouth.

Kurt

We are still using inches here. I know, so archaic. What you want for crickets are pin-heads to no bigger than 1/8" in size. Most stores do not sell these sizes. Petco (and I think Petsmart now) sell fruit fly cultures. Remember to dust your feeder insects and both crickets and fruit flies are lacking in nutrition.

doganie

Paul, you're in Washington right? Are there any places you know of near silverdale where I can get the right size crickets?

Paul Rust

Quote Originally Posted by doganie View Post
    Paul, you're in Washington right? Are there any places you know of near silverdale where I can get the right size crickets?
    For newly morphed frogs you can get fruit flies at Petco. I have my crickets overnighted from Ghanns Cricket Farm or Josh's Frogs. You want 1/8" crickets because pinheads don't survive the trip very well.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information